1752790 Members
5925 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing MSA2000 Controller

nima_1

Installing MSA2000 Controller

Hi,

I am about to install second controller AJ744A on my current, single MSA2012FC controller.
I have 6 ESX servers and 40 virtual machines running on it.
I have also 3 other MSA enclosures connected to the first MSA controller via SAS cable.

Current controller IP Address is : 10.0.0.2
I have disabled Partner Firmware Upgrade.

Can I install Second controller while servers are running? say Hot Installation?

Best Regards,
6 REPLIES 6
nima_1

Re: Installing MSA2000 Controller

Hello Support,

Can you please guide me to document for this issue?

Thanks for your attention and time
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

this forum is not the support.

This is a forum for people who like to help out in their own free time. I don't think anybody gets paid to post in here (if there is, where do I sign up? ;)

With that said:

1. Especially the MSA2000 G1, consider upgrading firmware before? Quite likely there have been fixes in the later firmwares that especially that part you already mentioned - the partner firmware upgrade.
2. Read advisories. Maybe a new one is out that advises you not to upgrade with the latest firmware etc.
3. With the problems I've seen while "just" replacing a faulty MSA2000 controller, I would not add one with servers still accessing their luns.
4. Have backup.
nima_1

Aha, Thanks :-)

How can I find out if its MSA2000fc G1 or MSA2000fc G2?

we were trying to implement Servers backup past week, using Backup Exec, VMware Consolidated Backup, MSA and MSL 4048.

Hopefully it is done, so the installation stress becomes half ;-)

The plan is to have a full backup when the load is minimum and then installing the second controller.

But a question remains:
If any problems occur, Can I power down the MSA then power On it, with BOTH controllers installed? Would the second controller get Current configuration?

Best Regards,
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

answer to your last question:

yes, you can do that (it would feel safer to me).

If partner upgrade is disabled, you would need to get the controllers to the same level of firmware manually.

Don't forget to backup MSA configuration as well, at least I think you can do this via the SMU.
nima_1

Hi, thanks

yes, I have a backup via SMU. (when I edit the file in notepad there is not any WWN of the hosts written on it, I just wanted to mention this.)

One issue remains, must the second controller be connected to the SAN switch or not?

How can I get the controllers to the same level of firmware manually?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, oh by the way, MSA2012fc is G1. The G2 are called MSA2312 I believe.

In the saved config, is there no mention of ports either? Then I suppose if you need to restore you may have to re-configure the hosts.

I do not see why the new controller needs to have SAN connectivity during install. The controllers will communicate via the midplane.
But it would be a good idea to make sure that it gets link on the host ports anyway. Maybe you can cable it to SAN-switch but not zone it, and then after upgrade you can zone it in?

You can find the firmware and installation instructions here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3687115&swItem=MTX-d5523766426f4703950fec22e0&prodNameId=3687119&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1

Click on revision history for older firmwares.