1752785 Members
6230 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 1000 Expansion

Guillem

MSA 1000 Expansion

Hello,

I have a MSA 1000 with two enclosures with 14HD each one, and I have just installed a new one with 14HD more. The question is if when I run the Config command, will this affect the performance of the existing RAids, or will this make any drop of connection with the servers?. Could this be done without problems at any time?

Thanks in advance,

Guillem
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 1000 Expansion

I have not seen a 'Config' command on the MSA1000 - it detects the disk drives automatically. Are you confusing it with the HSG/HSZ controllers?
Guillem

Hi,

YES, I'm using the HSG80 controllers, and there is the Config program name for the RUN command to discover new HD on the SAN.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Assuming you have a MSA1000 and one additional 4314R(or similar) (28 disks total)... and you added an additional 4314R (or similar), then the answer is...

...if the shelf is already attached and you restarted the MSA1000, then all you need to do is run the Array Configuration Utility (ACU) and configure your drives ...either expand existing array(s) or create new array(s).

Depending on the function you choose, you can effect the preformance of the existing logical drives. If you simply want new drives, then little to no performance issues. You will not drop any connection from your hosts either.

...If you want to EXPAND an existing array/logical unit, then you will notice a perfomance decrease during the expansion period, but gain, you will NOT drop connection to the hosts. The only time you lose connection id when you restart the MSA1000 (or you have a failure with some component). You can minimize the performance decrease lasting time by setting the priority of the controlelrs to high for expansion. This will also cause the largest performance decrease.

You should be able to do this at any time without any problems.

Keep in mind that expanding an array can take a long time depending on the priority setting and how much data is on the existing array(s).

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Well now... just dis-regard my last statement as most of it pertains to the MSA1000. (not the HSG80) Look before leap?

Anyway, the same things sorta apply to the HSG80. You should be able to "run config" and not have it disturb any existing connections or cause any major performance issues. All the program does is goes out and scans the SCSI buses. When it finds a new drive, it populates it into the controller config so that you can then create units out of them.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Guillem

Thanks very much Steve.
I will attach a new shelf, not expand an existing array.
So I see there will be no problem.
Again, thanks very much for your answare.
Regards,

Guillem