3493 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 1000 HA MultiPath

SOLVED
Go to solution
CeGe

MSA 1000 HA MultiPath

I have a Msa1000 ha serving 2 vmware esx.

Config: 2 controller 2 embeded 2/8 san switch

2 dl385 g2 with 1 dual port hba each.

One port on the server to one switch and the other port to the other switch.

I Know that the controller do a Lun failover. But must I not configure the SSP with the WWN for port2 on each HBA? Or how will the failover work if the controller doesent know about which lun to which wwn.

CeGe
8 REPLIES 8
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: MSA 1000 HA MultiPath

You would have to configure the SSP for each port for the failover to work properly. If you are using zoning on your switches you will need to ensure that the MSA1000 is in the same zone as the ESX Server(s).

VMWare will handle the multipaths to the LUN's. When you configure the SSP (and zoning) to the VMWare ESX Server you will need to go into the Virtual Infrastructure Client, select the VMWare server that you just configured the SSP for, select the "configuration" tab, select "storage adapters" and in the upper right hand click on "Rescan".

You should see the drives that are configured for the ESX Server.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
CeGe

Hi,

But I can not se the wwn from the ports that are in the second switch shall I use isl trunking or how shall I do to see the wwn from the secondary switch.

I am using active/passive config on the MSA

Christian
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

If you are using active/passive then you will not see the wwn from the second switch until the controller failed over. You may want to either upgrade the MSA1000 firmware so that you can do active/active or failover the MSA1000 to the second controller and see if the wwn's show up then.

Also, make sure that the zoning is correct on the second switch as well.

Phil
CeGe

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your awnser.

One last question, can I put the second port hba in to the active switch and configure ssp/wwn and than put it back to the secondary switch?

CeGe
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

You probably don't want to do that. The switches are not the components that are active or passive. The MSA controllers are the hardware components that are active or passive. The best thing for being prepared for a failure is to actually fail it over to the passive controller and make sure it is configured to work properly. Aside from that you could go to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=377751&prodNameId=305215&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-47232-1 and download the active/active firmware upgrade for the MSA controller. Then you wouldn't have to worry about it and you would have true Multipath IO.

Phil
CeGe

I will do so,

Thanks for your advise.

CeGe
CeGe

Hi Again,

Now I have tested and read a lot of forums and pdf-whoto, but still no luck.

As I know it there is now way to se the wwn from a hba connected to the secondary embedded 2/8 switch on the active controller.

I do not want to upgrade the firmware to active/active due to esx-support, esx only supported with firmware 4.48 active/passive.

How shall I configure ssp so that the controller are aware of which wwn in the secondary switch can access the right lun?

My suggestion is to connect the secondary hba to the primary switch and set ssp to the correct lun and than put back the hba to the secondary switch. Than the ssp will be correct if a failover occurs.

Is this a possible way to solve this issue?

CeGe

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I have been told that VMware ESX server is now supported on active/active firmware, but I don't have any information at hand right now.

--

The standby controller MUST be 'seen' by the second switch - else there is a confiugration problem. And the standby controller MUST have recognized the second Fibre Channel adapter of the host.

You definitely need two 'connection objects' in the controller namespace to be able to properly set up SSP.

The reason is, because the standby controller does present the logical disks as well to the
host so that its failover software is aware of the standby path.

Maybe the controller just needs a Fabric event (a poll from the adapter firmware, for example) to notice it's WWN.