HPE EVA Storage
1753823 Members
8784 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 1000 with 4GB and 2GB switch... Advice needed...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leonard Thng
Frequent Advisor

MSA 1000 with 4GB and 2GB switch... Advice needed...

Hi.

Currently i have a MSA100 with 2 controllers connected to 1 2GB FC switch (primary-controller 1) and 1 4GB FC switch (secondary-controller 2). Multipathing is configured. When i performed a failover, the failover is successful and fails over to the 4GB switch. However, when the 1st path is reverted back, the primary switches back to the 2GB switch. Is that suppose to happen? Coz i want the 4GB to be the primary.

So what i was thinking to make the 4GB as the permanent primary path, i've decided to switch all the FC cables connected to the 2GB switch to the 4GB switch and vice versa. Thus making the 4GB connected to the primary controller 1 and the 2GB to the secondary controller 2. Is this way workable? If not, is there any other way to make the 4GB primary?

Please advice. Many thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Andy Ivey
Advisor
Solution

Re: MSA 1000 with 4GB and 2GB switch... Advice needed...

How are the routes determined? Do you have MPIO installed? Are you running your controllers active/passive or active/active?

We have two MSA1500cs each in an active/active configuration (two controllers each). We use MPIO with an MMC plug-in for accessibility via Computer Management in Windows. The MPIO in this configuration provides us with load balancing across both links.
Leonard Thng
Frequent Advisor

Hi.

My controllers are active/passive. There's no configurations for the routing. Just purely accessing the MSA storage. No zoning and such.
Andy Ivey
Advisor

According to the specs, "a Path management utility is not provided" in MPIO to for an Active/Passive config. Therefore, that isn't the application you need. However, you can take a look at its other features at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?тМй=en&cc=us&pnameOID=421495&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=421492&submit.y=7&submit.x=10тМй=en&cc=us

I took a look at the HP StorageWorks 1000/1500 Modular Smart Array Command Line Interface Third Edition (May 2006). There may be a newer manual on-line, but this one states that you cannot use the CLI to set a preferred path unless ou are active/active.

In total, I am at a loss, but I happen to be on hold with HP on a related issue and will try to get an answer out of them.
Andy Ivey
Advisor

I talked with HP. The primary link in an Active/Passive configuration will be the one connected to the primary controller. The primary will be the one on the right when you are facing the MSA. Sorry for the delay, but I have always ran either a single controller or active/active.
Leonard Thng
Frequent Advisor

Hey Andy!!

appreciate your help in this. thanks!!
Leonard Thng
Frequent Advisor

Thanks!