New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1500 vs. EVA 5000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

MSA 1500 vs. EVA 5000

Greetings,

Currently, We have a total seven (7) MSA 1500cs and still not enough for our size of orginization and performance impact. I am looking to upgrade from our MSA 1500 evironment with an EVA 5000 - I was thinking of moving the production on to the EVA when and if I get it in. Therefore, I am looking for more info to justify my case for buying the EVA.

Can someone here help me with this?

Thank you in advance.

J.
6 REPLIES 6
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

I would go for an eva6000. You can start by a copy paste of the key benefits from here:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/eva/index.html

The most important part is:

- Capacity
- Fault tolerance
- Flexibility with the virtualization technology, maximizing storage usage, dynmically increase of storage space
- Vsnapclones/Vsnapshots
- Centralized and easy administration
- Highest performance thanks to the virtualization technology
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Sheriff Andy
Trusted Contributor

We have an EVA 5K. We are very happy with it. There are some things we don't care so much about it, but overall the performance is such a big plus.

Our File Server had 500 GB of local attached storage. It was taking our backups over 20 plus hours, as soon as we went to 500GB of storage on our EVA we went down to less then 9 hours to back up our storage.

Very fast, and the more disks you add the faster it gets.
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

EVA5000 provides:
1.better to manager
2.vitual storage
3.better for continue access and replicator.
4.higher performance
HP is simple
SJO EGGER
Regular Advisor

hello

how big is your san? how many space did you need? did you have only one OS in the san or more? is mirroring a topic?

we have two EVA 5000 an two EVA 8000 with two command view EVA server├В┬┤s and we are also very happy with it!

my opinion ist to buy two smaller EVA storages and mirror all the data.
VCP2005
Trusted Contributor

Both MSA 1500 & EVA5000 (now should be EVA4000, 8000) having big different.

1. RAID
- MSA is using disk - disk RAID controller so design or RAID level will affect final read/write performance

- EVA using virtual RAID, which will max read/write performance (RAID level will not have big different)

- so EVA will have maximum IO for read/write as it use all the disk in the disk group for the virtual disk

2. EVA support BCV, CA but MSA not

3. MSA recently have too many firmware upgrade which is critial level.

4. EVA will be maximise your disk usage but have plan accordingly (pls get HP advice) as it use virtual RAID . Protection will depend protection level...

5. MSA is Active - Passive controller & path. But EVA now is Active - Active controller & disks path

For the same level storage as compare to other vendor, it should be call as best storage. (do not compare enterprise storage like XP, EMC sym, Hitachi...)

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

The EVA5K to my knowledge is already on its way out as HP now sells the EVA "even" series --- the EVA 4000, 6000, 8000. You may want to go to an EVA 4000 initially as it can be incrementally upgraded.

If you decide on an EVA5K (HW brokers should have a lot of them!) - get HP support on it and have it upgraded to the latest and greates VCS/Firmware (4.0.3 I think is the latest one). With this upgraded firmware/VCS - you'll have an EVA5K that behaves like the newer EVA 4/6/8K and most of your server based multi-pathing solution will work and remain the same. You will no longer have to deal with SecurePath.

Hope this helps.
Hakuna Matata.