1753637 Members
5995 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 securepath problem

Rahman Daros
Occasional Contributor

MSA1000 securepath problem

I have a MSA1000 with redundant controller, but only with one fibre I/O which connected to one 8 port Brocade switch. There are 3 servers connected to the switch, two LH6000(with dual HBA) and one Proliant ML350(one HBA). we tried to install Secure Path but failed. Is it because we only have one fibre I/O at the back? Now we are getting the redundant fibre I/O so that we can have two connection from the MSA to the switch. So does this solved the Secure Path problem?
What are steps involved?
2 REPLIES 2
andy steven
Valued Contributor

u need two paths to the san to use secure path, adding in another I/O modual will do this (however u still have a single point of failure as u have only one fibre switch).

as u have an msa 1000 u can use the MPIO driver which provides multipathing capabilities (its free http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21829.html) it does not provide for load balancing, but the msa does not support this anyway.

Glenn N Wuenstel
Valued Contributor

Hello,
Actually you don't have to have dual paths to install SecurePath. For instance if you have only one HBA and an EVA with two controllers connected to the SAN you would see multiple paths to the same LUNS from the server with a single HBA. In this case you would still want to install SecurePath (SP)to correctly identify that you are seeing the same LUN multiple times and filter that down to one LUN being presented to the OS.
You should have been able to install SecurePath whether you have one path from both the MSA and the server.
What error did you get during the SP install? What version of SP? What OS?