New Discussion юеВ

MSA1500cs does not update extend logical drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cristhian Nunez
Occasional Advisor

MSA1500cs does not update extend logical drive

Hello,

Im having problems with msa1500cs. The problem is that i need to extend logical drive size.
first: I expand the array without problems. Later I extend the logical drive size. After finish the process to extend the logical drive, i can see the new size in the ACU utility, but when i umount and mount the partition to see the new size, it still have the old size. I dont know whats going on. While ACU utility says a new size, my operating system says another on. The question is: how can i update my logical drive in the operating system to update the new size.

Im running Red Hat EL 5

Thanks

Cristhian
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1500cs does not update extend logical drive

Hello,

only the disk, that you see under RHEL5 is bigger, not the overlaying filesystem. You should extend you filesystem too.

Start fdisk an take a look at the free space at the end of the disk.

Kind regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Cristhian Nunez
Occasional Advisor

Patrick

How can i do this with fdisk ?. i dont want format my partition.

Can you explain me please ???

Cristhian
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Cristhian,

no, you can't use fdisk to do this. You could add a new partition on that extended disk, but you can't enlarge a filesystem with fdisk.

Which filesystem do you use with RHEL? If you're using ext2/ext3 you can use resize2fs. Take a look at the manpage: man 8 resize2fs. If you're using ReiserFS, take a look at the manpage of resize_reiserfs.

I've done this many times, without problems. But you should have a valid backup. :) And dismount the partition before you extend it.

Kind regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Cristhian Nunez
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Patrick

It works fine !!!

e2fsck /dev/sda
resize2fs /dev/sda

Thanks