1753797 Members
7281 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migration from MSA1500 to EVA5000 SAN

Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Migration from MSA1500 to EVA5000 SAN

Our Oracle DB is currently residing on the MSA1500 (4) w/DB size of 350GB - We have an EVA with 10TB of raw storage that we're planning to migrate into our Oracle DB.
As for the DB tools, we are using the RMAN backup method and are using the host that has access to both of the SAN environments for disk to disk copy.

We had plenty of practice doing the RMAN backup procedure in the past, so I'm not worry about that too much. Giving the time and staff, would you folks know if there are any complications from migrating Oracle DB from the MSA to the EVA environment??

Please let me know.

Thank you in advance

Jorge
3 REPLIES 3
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Migration from MSA1500 to EVA5000 SAN

If you have the EVA configured and can access the disk drives from the system and you areusing RMAN to do a cold backup of your DB and then restore it to the new location. I don't see any problem theere. Make sure that you point the database config file to the new location of the database also.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Jorge,

What OS are you running Oracle on...?
Some (Tru64 for example) could allow you to migrate the data without using RMAN at all.

What VCS version are you running on your EVA5000 ? What firmware are you running on the MSA ? Again depending on your OS, you may need to install different multipathing software etc...

Cheers,

Rob
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Rob,

The current OS for the Oracle DB server is RHAS 3.0 - As for now, this will not change since we're not trying to add more varibles incase we run into issue.

As for the EVA SAN, we're one (1) version behind (can't think of the version number at the moment).

And no, we're not using MPIO or Multi-path at this time. If we do, it will be the QLogic dual-path firmware.

Thanks,
Jorge