108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migration of HSG80 to EVA 4100

SOLVED
Go to solution
Luis_135
Advisor

Migration of HSG80 to EVA 4100

I am planning migration of my HSG80 system with two redundant controllers and redundant SAN switches.

I am not sure i am going to change the switches, just the storage first.

I intend to plug the EVA to the existing switches (1 Gb, 8 ports) since i have two free ports in each switch.

Once there, i will present new LUNs from EVA to the hosts that already have access to the old LUNS in HSG80, and i will transfer data from one LUN to the other.

Hosts are one windows 2000 cluster of two nodes with only one HBA each.

Any special thing i must care about? Do you think my plan is correct?

Any comment will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Migration of HSG80 to EVA 4100

Hi,

Your plan should work. Having HSG80s and EVAs coexisting on the same fabric is quite normal.

What you might want to do is to check your zoning configuration. I would be tempted to create a new zone for your hosts and EVA.

You will also want to be upgrading your switches and HBAs to 4Gb/s models at some point to make best use of your investment in the EVA4100.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You must have a separated zone for your EVA and your HSG storages.

To simplify the migration and downtime, you may want to consider using windows software mirror to migrate the data, then break the mirror once they are in full sync.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

There is an HP restriction in using 1G 'infrastructure' with the 4Gb host port EVAs, that is not that fully explained by HP. Please check with HP storage. I don't know if you can connect 4Gb eva host ports directly to a 1G switch, perhaps others can comment.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Interesting...

Looking at the QuickSpecs here:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12745_div/12745_div.pdf

Page 46 does indeed state: "Dual 4Gb/s FC enabled (running at 2 or 4 Gb/s with 2 or 4 Gb/s switches and HBAs)".

Looks like you probably will have to upgrade the switches as well.

Cheers,

Rob
Luis_135
Advisor

Thank you guys for your interesting comments.

I will take a look at that 1 Gb issue. Very important for me!.

If changing the switches would be compulsory, what would be the best plan?

I am thinking of placing a whole new system with 2 EVA controllers and two new switches, and then interconnect SAN switches in pairs, i mean swA(HSG) with swA(EVA)and swB(HSG) with swB(EVA.

Is this the best way? What zoning configuration should the interconection ports have?

Thanks again