New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCI Express HBA Issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
dirtyworks
Occasional Advisor

PCI Express HBA Issue

Hi,

1. I'm having some trouble finding some documentation that agrees with the HBA's I have. It's a dual channel qlogic pci-X device with only a green and an amber lamp. The only documentation I found mentions 3 lamps, yellow, green, amber. Windows is not very helpful in identifying the model.

2. I have one of the above-mentioned adapters that has both the green and amber lamps on, solid, no blinking. The other HBA's have only the green lamp lit, no blinking. What does the amber light mean?

All HBA's are connected to an EVA 5000.
7 REPLIES 7
dirtyworks
Occasional Advisor

I failed to mention I had an error in the event viewer where one of the virtual disks was logged as unexpected removal. The SAN recovered via the redundant configuration.

Both switches do not show any current error conditions in the eva administrator web gui. I double-checked on the command line with sssa.
dirtyworks
Occasional Advisor

Digging through the forums on related topics suggested I check the quickspecs for the g5's the HBA's are in.

Except, the compatible hba models all point to the same documentation mentioning three lamps, not two.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor
Solution

I use a PCIe fc2142sr fiber HBA on my MSA 2012fc. The lights mean connectivity or not. When I replace a fiber card, I usually have to flash the firmware to the same version as the server. Amber could mean no connectivity with the SAN. When you boot the server, go into the HBA setup. Make sure it can see the storage. I usually have to set 4 Gbps link speed, fabric point to point, bios enabled, any first device. On the SAN, I have to give r/w access to the new fiber HBAs to the LUNs for that server.
dirtyworks
Occasional Advisor

Ok,

New info after reconfiguring notifications. Something meaningful happened to one of the controllers.

Message 1:
HSV110 controller operation was terminated due to an unrecoverable event detected by either software or hardware or due to an action initiated via the Storage System Management Interface.

Message 2:
Severity: Undetermined -- more information needed to determine severity. An HSV110 controller has left the Storage System.

Message 3:
he state of the Fibre Channel port identified in the attribute.value.str field and located on the rear panel of the HSV110 controller identified in the handle field has transitioned to the FAILED state. The attribute.type field contains the value 4.

Message 4:
A Fibre Channel port on the HSV110 controller has failed to respond. The identity of the affected Fibre Channel port is contained in the cerp_id field.

* 1 - Excessive exchange timeouts on loop
* 2 - Excessive link errors on loop
* 3 - Exhausted Link Down retries on loop with signal
* 4 - Exhausted Link Down retries on loop with loss of signal
* 5 - Excessive link inits on loop without completing device discovery

Assignee
Comments

Trap Details

Variable Description Value
NO DATA
The StorageCell Name: Date & Time of Event. eva-02: 12-Dec-2010/16:32:52
The Event Code Software Component ID. 6
The StorageCell Event Code event number. 1
The event code Corrective Action Code. 74
The Event Code EIP Type. 8

Message 5:
An HSV110 controller has sent a last gasp message prior to terminating operation.

Variable Description Value
NO DATA
The StorageCell Name: Date & Time of Event. eva-02: 12-Dec-2010/17:11:46
The Event Code Software Component ID. 4
The StorageCell Event Code event number. 1
The event code Corrective Action Code. 3
The Event Code EIP Type. 28

The hardware in eva-02 report no problems. Lights are green on the back of the switches. Per above, the amber light is lit on the server's hba. Am I right in guessing this is probably an hba failure?

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Did you apply the latest firmware to the HBAs.

Be careful 9.2 took out two servers in the last month. I found installing it from Windows 2003 was safer than booting the DVD.

dirtyworks
Occasional Advisor

Michael,

Thanks for your help. You got me started in the right direction.

It turns out the pci-x card failed.
dirtyworks
Occasional Advisor

The lights mean connectivity or not. When I replace a fiber card, I usually have to flash the firmware to the same version as the server. Amber could mean no connectivity with the SAN. When you boot the server, go into the HBA setup. Make sure it can see the storage. I usually have to set 4 Gbps link speed, fabric point to point, bios enabled, any first device. On the SAN, I have to give r/w access to the new fiber HBAs to the LUNs for that server.