New Discussion

Re: Re-sync EVA5k Controllers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dhananjaya Amarakoon
Regular Advisor

Re-sync EVA5k Controllers

Hi Friends

I have to recync EVA 5k as a solution for identified few issues.

As my knowledge resync command is  2a for EVA6400 but I am not sure is that same for EVA5k.

Could you please advise me whether that command is same for all EVA models ?

Best Regards

Dhananjaya

P.S. this thread has been moved from General to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise). - Hp Forum Moderator

11 REPLIES 11
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,
yeah it's the same.

What is the issue you were talking about?
Often just rebooting the master controller is enough.
Also, if you have lots of disks, the resynch may take longer than one minute - resulting in your servers timing out (a resynch reboots both controllers quickly) - default time out is 60s in Windows anyway.
Dhananjaya Amarakoon
Regular Advisor

Hi

thanks for the support

There are two disk groups in the eva. We replaced one of  failure HDD  after that It was stuck 70% leveling stage. But when analyzing the logs ( HP support ) they said it shows levling was complete. Initially thought it was CVE side issue but we restarted the CVE service after clear the cache  and also test with new version but issue was there. So it suggested to resysnc the controllers. When we delete unwanted vdisks leveling was going high. Current state is it is 100% but not completed. Other issue is free space are not shown correctly. Under vraid 1, 5, and 0 it shows same space available.

This contains 168 disks. Do u believe what is the best option ? controller resysnc or reboot the master controller ?  How I find out master controller in EVA 5k ? from CVE or OCP window ?

Best Regards

Dhananjaya

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can find it out through the OCP window.
I think for this issue it's a very good idea to start with restarting the master controller.

I know they often ask for a resynch because that usually solves the problem, but often a master controller restart fixes it and that has less potential to cause any other side effects.

If there is a problem with Command View showing supposedly false information, then remember that the master controller is the one CV is communicating with.

About the time for the resynch- How large are your disks?
Dhananjaya Amarakoon
Regular Advisor

Thanks Johan
EVA has 72GB, 15k , 168 Disks.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

OK, 72x168GB~=12TB

So 30+(1.43*12)~=47seconds estimated time for the resynch

Dhananjaya Amarakoon
Regular Advisor

Thanks Johan,
I did master controller reboot instead of controller resync. Now everything working fine.
thanks for the advice.

Dhananjaya
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The "reboot" of a single controller causes a resynchronization anyway.

"controller resync" is nothing but an euphemism for rebooting both controllers (without hardware diagnostics).

daedro
Frequent Advisor

hi Johan,

How can i indentify de master controller to do the reboot,

thank you very much.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi daedro, you look in the OCP of the controller. Click around in the menues and somewhere in there it will say "master" or "slave".