HPE EVA Storage
1753843 Members
7376 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Running CommandViewEVA on Virtual Server?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brenda Morgan
Occasional Contributor

Running CommandViewEVA on Virtual Server?

We have EVA4000 disk arrays managed by Command View currently running on a physical server- DL380.
We'd like to virtualize this server (probably using Virtuozzo). Is this supported? Has anyone already tried this? Any warnings, suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I've once tried something similar under VMware, by mapping the SACD as a "raw LUN" to a VM. CV-EVA claimed it saw an uninitialized storage array, but it's possible that I did not hit the master controller. Unfortunately I ran out of time and aborted that experiment.

Does Virtuozzo map the Fibre Channel adapter into the virtual server or can it map a "raw SCSI LUN"?

If that does not work, can't you just keep CV-EVA in the physical Windows environment?
Brenda Morgan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I don't know the answer... That is a good question for us to throw at Virtuozzo.
We're in the planning stages of our server virtualization project so we can leave it on a physical box if needed.
gurdeep_2
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I'd much rather have a physical box connected to an EVA. If you only have one server w/command view and it crashes, you have no way to manage your EVA. We have a virtual environment but my command view server sits on a physical box.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I agree - a virtualized server, even if it worked, is not supported.
Brenda Morgan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to you both for your input. We won't pursue virtualizng this server.
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, EVA lacks out-of-band management.
Some of our clients have pure linux environment, so they did not want to buy extra windows server for EVA management. I think, this will be the great thing to get CommandView/BC/CA worked inside the virtual machine...
Khile Klock
Frequent Advisor

It would also be a great thing to get into the UX/Linux OS!! Then we wouldn't need an extra Box in the first place... let alone a Windoze Box...