108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN disk not seen by W2K3 Std

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mario Maradiaga

SAN disk not seen by W2K3 Std

Hey All,

Hope you're all doing well, as almost everyone here I need help. Here's the story:

I need to present a 400gb vdisk from the SAN (EVA 4000) to a Proliant BL20p G3 with W2K3 Std and QLA2312 mezzanines. It has two of them, the fiber is connected to the one that says HBA Instance 1 and SAN Surfer shows it as Good.

The configurations I did at the switch level where:
1. Identify the port the server is connected to.
2. Create a new alias and add the respective port to it.
3. Added two zones, one for the server only and one for the server and the 2 HSV's.
4. Added the newly created server alias also to the EVA zone.
5. Added the zone containing the server and 2 HSV's to the config.
6. Save the config.

At Command View I did the following:
1. Added the new host, defining only the OS type and hostname parameter leaving everything else with it's defautl values.
2. For Port settings for the host I added the Device Port WWN and Device Node WWN detected by the switch.
3. Presented the disk to the host.

At the host level:
1. Restarted the Host.

For troubleshooting:
1. Updated the mezzanine drivers to the latest.
2. Installed SAN Surfer

Pretty long story huh? Well as the title clearly states, after all that, the host is still unable to see the disk. I don't have to much experience in this, so ask anything that you assume I took into account which I probably didn't. I'm not sure if when creating the host on the Command View I should use those ports I mentioned or the Switch Port WWN instead, although I tried it and it didn't work either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mario

4 REPLIES 4
DogBytes
Valued Contributor
Solution

I think you missed enabling the zone. You did the save, enable it when its safe to do so. Be careful, if you have a sensitive (real time) application anywhere on your SAN, do this after hours (or during a maintenance window).

Also, when you added the host ports in Command View, did you use the drop down options or manually enter them? If prefer the former as it reduces potential errors.

Hope that helps,

- R.
Mario Maradiaga

Thanks for the reply.

By enabling the config I'll assume that you mean the button next to save config that says Enable Config. Does this mean that the changes I make to the config are only applied to the switches when I enable it even if it's already working? I think I forgot to mention that I only have one config.

Regarding the ports, in the drop down list I didn't see either the Port WWN or the Device/Node WWN so I manually entered it.

I'll try the Enable Config button and let you tomorrow I guess cause I'll have to do it tonight (I have an Oracle 10g RAC working there also).
DogBytes
Valued Contributor

Yes, that's right. When you enable the configuration your changes will take affect. This also explains why you didn't have the ports listed in Command View. While it's okay to add them manually, if you enable the new zone, Command View usually see them. (Sometimes you have to force it by rebooting the server or by other means for them to show up in CV EVA). It serves as a small confirmation your zone was applied.
Mario Maradiaga

It seems that I have some sort of death wish and did the Enable Config thing right now during office hours and now it's working. The only extra thing I had to do was go to the Command View and delete/recreate the host. As you mentioned I was now able to select the WWN from the drop-down box without issue.

Thank you very much for the help!! There you and then there's Google!!

Regards,
Mario