6029 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SAN replica

Taifur
Respected Contributor

SAN replica

Dear All,

In SAN replica  data will be replica at storage level  from  data center to disaster Recovery Center. But is there any impact at operating system level that is , if anything change at DC server OS , will it effect DR server OS ?

Pls help me about it.

Waiting for feedback .

Cheers//

Taifur

6 REPLIES 6
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

If you are booting fro the SAN, and hence have your operating system on a SAN device, then replication will involve operating system data; otherwise not.

I presume that your setup replicates from your primary to your secondary site during normal times, but if/when you run from your secondary site, the direction of replication is reversed.   This is the standard arrangement to preserve data continuity/

Regards!

...JRF...

Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi Freguson,

Thanks for your reply.

Could u pls  clarify about SAN boot .

Pls help  about this issue .

Cheers//

Taifur

Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi Freguson,

Is it mendatory to use SAN boot ?
or storage replica is enough for data from Data center to Disater recovery site .
Pls suggest as we are going to deploy a storage real time replica in banking envoronment from DC to DR .

Rgds//
Taifur
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>> Is it mendatory to use SAN boot ?

>> or storage replica is enough for data from Data center to Disater recovery site

It depends what aspect is your [Buisness Requirement] will you have very frequent changes updatesfrom  OS side or Application ? I believe its Application side.

so its better in my opion to have Storage replica enough for data from Data center to Disater recovery site .

As per OS side (There are many ways) .. you can perform OS-backup from DC site & Restore your image to your DR site

by tape or Ignite Server   to keep OS side to same level as in DC site & DR site.

Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi
Thanks for ur reply. I understood that storage replica is enough from DC to DR .

Could u pls let me know, mount point and installed software should be same in Data center server and DR server ?

Pls help about this issue.

Cheers//
Taifur

Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>> Could u pls let me know, mount point and installed software should be same in Data center server and DR server?

Of course. it should be the same.  Than only replicated Data from Data Center to DR Site would be same level & It would serve => your purpose for replica.

Data Mount points need not to be mounted at all times @ DR Site , can be mounted or activated @ the time of DR-drill

At the time of DR-drill 

1. Restore the OS from DC to DR site

2. Replicate your Data from DC to DR site

3. Activate you (Data VG's) & mount respective Data mount points

Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference