5155 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SN3000B configuration with NPIV WWN's

dirkdevos
Frequent Advisor

SN3000B configuration with NPIV WWN's

Hi,

I am not sure if there is a better group for this question or not. Please forgive my limited knowledge on this subject. I am trying to get a better understanding. We have a couple of HPUX virtual machines that can move between 3 BL860 i4's. The virtual machines have virtual HBA's defined each with a unique WWN. When creating a zone the WWN is presented as a hostname (not the vm name) and WWN combination which is perfect until the vm migrates to a different host. Now the origional hostname is replaced with the new hostname which I believe breaks the connection between the SAN and the server.

I would like to find out if it is possible to define a zone that will allow the virtual machine to connect to the SAN in the case that the vm has move to a different host?

Any suggestion, documentation or help will be appreciated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

If the WWN is defined by the host you need to create a zone with all the WWN's of all hosts

defined in it and then when the geust moves from one host to the other it will remain

connected.

Regards

dirkdevos
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the information. That is what I was thinking on doing but the only way that can think of doing it is to create the zone when the vm is on blade 1, then move the vm to blade 2 and add the new host/wwn to the zone created before and then repeat for the next blade or is there a better/easier way?

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

I don't understand what you mean by virtual HBA is your what OS is your host running?

I think your WWN is related to the host physical WWN or if not it would not change when moving

your guest from host to host.

Regards

dirkdevos
Frequent Advisor

Both hosts and guests are running HP-UX and when you define a guest you can attach storage to the virtual machine using the avio_stor adaptor which allows virtual disk and hba devices. From the way that I understanding it, if you use "disk" you are connecting to disks defined to the host, but when you use hba, the vm interacts directly with the hba device on the host. So, when you define the vm, a wwn gets defined and that is used to establish a connection with the san. Now when you move the vm, the wwn moves with it but is now using the new host's hba to connect to the san.

I hope I explained it correctly. Please correct me if I missed anything.