108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

UPS Graceful Shutdown of EVA5000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Monica Peck
Occasional Advisor

UPS Graceful Shutdown of EVA5000

We would like to connect our EVA5000 PDUs into UPSs, but are not sure how the UPSs would communicated to the EVA inorder to shut it down. Can the management appliance issue a graceful shutdown of an EVA5000? If not, what can a UPS talk to inorder to initiate a graceful shutdown of our EVA5000.
Monica
11 REPLIES 11
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: UPS Graceful Shutdown of EVA5000

Monica,
I have just checked all .PDF files about EVA3000 and 5000 that I have collected since V1, but they do not contain the string 'ups' (or Windows decided not to find it - who knows ;-).

I don't know what servers you are using and if they are able to sense that UPS as well. You might be able to hack a script and use the SSSU (Storage System Scripting Utility) to initiate the EVA shutdown from the server through the Storage Management Appliance.
Monica Peck
Occasional Advisor

Thank you. The servers are Proliant Servers running Novell 5.1 and 1 Windows server.

If there is anyone who has done this and can send me a sample script, it would be much appreciated.
Monica
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

I haven't done it, but I think the following should work. Just remember that it will immediately shutdown the array and cut access to all servers - there doesn't seem a way to initiate a delayed shutdown through SSSU.

The script might need to be adapted to your needs, because I don't know what enclosure address you controllers have. You can find out with 'show power' within SSSU.

--
select manager ip-sma username=?? password=??
select cell cell-name
shutdown "\Hardware\Rack 1\Enclosure 7\Controller A" all_peers
--

You can then run it like:
C:\ sssu.exe < eva01-shutdown.txt > eva01-shutdown.log

Let us know if you got it working!
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

the EVA5000 has batteries to safeguard its cache in case of a power failure.
If the power failure doesn't last for days you don't have to worry too much about it.

regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Monica:

Your UPS should be talking to your backup generator! Not the EVA. :-)

Seriously, you seem to be planning for having to shut down your EVA rather than planning on how to avoid the shutdown in the first place.

As others have said, the EVA has cache batteries that keep the state of the controller cache intact for at least a week with no power. I would concentrate on shutting down your Servers/Applications that are feeding data to the EVA before I would worry about shutting down the EVA. If you have halted all SAN traffic to the EVA, why worry about the EVA shutdown? I know that our HP Field Service Engineers's will flip the breakers on a new EVA system that does not have any traffic on it. They do not bother with a controller shutdown.

Mike Naime
VMS SAN mechanic
Monica Peck
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for your comments and assistance.

The servers are also backed up by a UPS and communicating a shutdown to those is not an issue. It is the EVA that is in question. You definately have a valid point reminding me of the run-time available in the EVA cache batteries. As a safeguard, we would still like to initiate the shutdown, if possible. We will look at trying the SSU script suggested.

If there is anyone who has done this, I would love to also hear how you made a graceful shutdown work.

Monica
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Buy an EMC array that flushes the cache to disk so that you can have it un-powered for ever and the cache data is protected. :-)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Mike,

you are a bit optimistic about the capacity of the cache batteries, I am afraid. The user manual says: "When both battery assemblies are fully charged, they can provide power to the DIMMs for up to 96 hours". Thats 4 days, but batteries age and loose capacity over time. What's wrong with being nice to the array and playing safe? ;-)

Using sssu utility the most simple method to make gracefull shutdown, but there is a bottleneck. You should always keep Management Appliance operating. In this case there is other problem how to shutdown MA clear. And how to make automatic power up of MA when power returns.
I will think about this problem, I have the same one :)