HPE EVA Storage
1748181 Members
4000 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unpresent Vdisk then delete it

Rasha01

Unpresent Vdisk then delete it

I'm trying to unpresent unused Vdisk from hosts then delete it to be added to another DG, but the problem when I unpresent this vdisk it effects the presentation of the same host to all other vdisk in the same DG.
I need to just delete this vdisk saftely without affecting other vdisks.
5 REPLIES 5
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

If vdisk is presented to multiple hosts, then it should be unpresnted from all other hosts before deleting. deleting one vdisk wont have impact on any other vdisk functionality.

If you delete the virtual disk, space will be freed up on the existing DG. you can't add that space to another DG.

If you want to make space in another DG, you need to ungroup some disks from DG and add it to another DG.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

How does it affect the other vdisks presented?

What's the operating system on the server?

Some operating systems need te LUNs to be presented with sequential LUN numbers, without gaps.

So for example if you have LUNs 0,1,2,3,4 and you unpresent LUN 2, you'll stop seeing 3 and 4 too. Is this your case?
Rasha01

Hosts OS: win 2008 R2 (Clustered)
No. of Vdisks: 6 which include the quorum vdisk
When I unpresent one of the hosts (host01) from vdisk (4) the cluster went down. This led me to re-represent it again without tracking the problem to bring the cluster online. Moreover when I tried to delete this vdisk this message appeared which scared me "At least one member of this Vdisk family is presented to a host. If you delete the Vdisk, all presentations and all of the data in the family's members will be lost".
Anyway I moved it to another folder and safetly deleted it.
I don't think it's LUN issue as all other vdisk present to the hosts while lun 4 is missing.
I have one more concern which is when i decrease the vdisk capacity, the host (OS MS SRV 2088 R2)still mapping the original size. How can I solve this issue as it is critical vdisk?
hpbon
Advisor

@Rasha01wrote:
Hosts OS: win 2008 R2 (Clustered)
No. of Vdisks: 6 which include the quorum vdisk
When I unpresent one of the hosts (host01) from vdisk (4) the cluster went down. This led me to re-represent it again without tracking the problem to bring the cluster online. Moreover when I tried to delete this vdisk this message appeared which scared me "At least one member of this Vdisk family is presented to a host. If you delete the Vdisk, all presentations and all of the data in the family's members will be lost".

Funny... Because I am in the process of shuffling around some datastores on my ESX 6.5 and HP EVA setup, and after deleting datastore on vCenter6.5, unpresenting the LUN in EVA, deleting Vdisk, I was exactly like you scared of this message... what in all Gods matters does this mean? Do I need to worry?

I have 7 Vdisks on the EVA, I want to delete Vdisk003 and create a new one in the same DG (I only got one DG)

After deleting the corresponding datastore in vCenter, unpresenting the Vdisk, how do I safely delete the Vdisk without affecting any other data... family or not?

Regards, Lars.

hpbon
Advisor

Anyone?