108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrading to CommandView 9.2/9.4 on EVA4400 - need info

SOLVED
Go to solution
CharlotteB
Occasional Contributor

Upgrading to CommandView 9.2/9.4 on EVA4400 - need info

I have been tasked to upgrade the CommandView EVA (aka HP P6000 EVA) software on our EVA4400 and have been reviewing whatever documentation I can find.  

We currently have v. 9.02.00.000115.  After reviewing the compatibility reference document (aka “compatibility matrix”), I have determined that I will need to update to 9.2 first and attempt the 9.4 upgrade afterwards.  Our controller firmware is XCS09534, which is current and will support either upgrade version.   

Our management server is Windows 2003 SP2 64-bit – again, no update needed.  We have Systems Event Analyzer 6.2 and Insight RSS A.05.40.200 on the server as well as some other sysadmin tools (WSUS).    It’s only running sysadmin tools so we can reboot it at any time.   We don't have dedup or some of the other add-ons installed. 

The compatibility matrix has tables for the “management module software”, but I didn’t see where I can check for my current version.   How/where do I check for this, or do I need to call HP and have them pull info?   I shouldn’t have to update this for the upgrade to 9.2 (because whatever it is, it already supports XCS09534 so is ok with CV 9.2), but might need to for 9.4. 

As a general noob question (because this is my first upgrade), I also need to know the impact of doing a Command View EVA update, because of course this is our production SAN.  If I am updating CommandView EVA only, would I only potentially need to reboot the management server (which is no problem) and not have to take down the EVA itself?  Is updating the management module software a “Reboot the EVA” situation or can it be done with an online code load?   (I know that updating the controller firmware *IS* a “reboot the EVA” task, but at this point the update to XCS10000000 is not part of our plan.)

I’d also like to know how I can back up the current configuration for the EVA. 

Is there a clear update installation procedure available on HP’s site or from someone who’s done this?  Are there “gotchas” or other moving parts I should keep in mind for the whole upgrade process?   Is this something I should open up a service call for?  I’m a bit paranoid because the firmware upgrade process for the onboard administrator in our blade server ended up blowing the OA (and our blade server) out (that’s a long story, it was a long night).  On the other hand, I was recently able to update disk drive firmware "online" per HP’s direction, which was really awesome. 

Thanks in advance for any help you’re able to give. 

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

The update guide is in the manual section of hp.com, look for command view and EVA.

You currently have 9.2.

I always uninstall the previous version of CV, reboot the server and install the new version.

An "update" does the same, usually it does not require the older version to be installed.

The update of the management module does not require a reboot of the EVA, only this module will boot (connect to the WOCP and select "upgrade firmware").

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

CV Manuals:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=110&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=471497#3

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

CharlotteB
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I skimmed that document earlier but re-reading it gives me some good info.

CharlotteB
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the info!  It looks like I may need to call HP to walk through resetting and perhaps re-IPing the management module if I can't dig out configuration info somewhere or successfully connect with a laptop.   (Or, if they can't pull logs and tell me what's up.)   The login attempts to wocp don't work using the IP addresses I have ... web page not found!   This system was very poorly set up by a fly-by-night VAR and I inherited it without much documentation.    I have learned management of this the hard way.  I do, however, now have a good, specific question to ask, which is always good when talking to tech support!

I did want to confirm what I hear you saying ... what I see is that updating/resetting the management module does NOT reset the EVA and/or affect operations of the disks themselves.   It only (temporarily if all goes well) affects my ability to connect administratively to it.  Am I correct in my understanding?    Thanks again!

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you don't remember the WOCP IP address, press the reset button until the LED blinks, then release.

This resets to factory default - IP 192.168.0.1, login admin, no password

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.