4875 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLS - 2 Virtual Libraries on 1 VLS

John Maguire_2
Occasional Contributor

VLS - 2 Virtual Libraries on 1 VLS

Hi,

I have a fully populated 6870 running 1.0.13.
I've created a virtual library, emulating an ESL E-series with 24 drives. I had this presented to a Windows DP cell manager and had no problems.

Now I want to create a second virtual library and present it to another DP cell. It's not very clear to me how to do this with LUN Mapping/Masking. I've read the limited amount of documentation and gave it a go, but couldn't get it to work. (Any additional pointers appreciated here).

Now, I'm going back to a basic configuration and presenting both virtual libraries (each with 24 drives) to the same DP cell. However, it only sees 24 drives from the first and 6 from the second.

Is this due to a limitation on my Windows host or is it because I'm hitting a limit on the VLS. The latest f/w notes (1.1.0) tell me that I can create 128 virtual drives, but I can't find the specs for version 1.0.13.

I'd rather avoid upgrading the f/w right now.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John
5 REPLIES 5
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

If you use the L&TT do you see all the libraries and drives? If you can see all the libraries and drives in the L&TT then it may be a limitation of DP.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
John Maguire_2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil,
I think its an O/S issue, rather than a DP one. The O/S onle sees 30 devices in device manager. 24 from the original library and 6 from the new one.

I had another look at LUN masking/mapping. I can prevent the first library from being seen on the host by performing LUN masking. But I can't see the second library at all now using LUN mapping. I'm not sure which LUN numbers to use to present the second one. I've tried various combinations, but no joy yet.

Separately, I've been diong more reading of the admin guide and it suggests that some O/S's may limit the amount of LUN's visible on a single port. I'm currently investigating the possibility of implementing the Large Luns registry setting.

If anyone has any experience of either LUN mapping or the implementation of the Large Luns setting, I'd appreciate some information.

Thanks,
John
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

If you are using the SCSI interface then you will be limited to 15 addressable devices per channel. With a dual channel SCSI device that would cut you off at 30. That may be your deficiency.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
John Maguire_2
Occasional Contributor

While I didn't figure out how to do the LUN mapping, I worked around the problem by replacing the MiniPort driver with the StorPort driver. I was then able to see all devices in all libraries, and selectively configure the ones I needed in DP.

Regards,
John
John Maguire_2
Occasional Contributor

Closing thread.