Volume Group Deactivated after reboot

SOLVED
Go to solution
James Hammond
Occasional Contributor

Volume Group Deactivated after reboot

OS = HP-UX 11i
SAN = EVA 3000
I have three servers each with three virtual disks presented to it. I have created a separate volume group, logical volume and file system for each of the virtual disks. The file system is set to be mounted on reboot. But, whenever I reboot the boxes, the volume groups for the SAN are deactivated. I then have to manually reactivate them and then mount the file system. I have done ioscan and spmgr update and that hasn't helped. Anyone have any clues? Thanks.
Jim
3 REPLIES 3
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor

Re: Volume Group Deactivated after reboot

See the file /etc/lvmrc .
If AUTO_VG_ACTIVATE is set to 0 then thats your problem . If you set it to one then your VG's will be activated on reboot .

YOu can also do custom VG activation by configuring the entries in the same file .

Also note that in a MCSG configuration the AUTO_VG_ACTIVATE is set to zero because service guard irslef activates the VG's when the ckuser starts up .

If you have a mix of cluster aware VG's and non cluster aware VG's then you chould use the custom VG activation feature in the /etc/lvmrc file .
Solution

This is a problem with Secure Path - basically the SP daemons don't configure the devices in your VG until *after* /etc/lvmrc has been called, hence when lvmrc tries to activate the VG it fails... There is an official 'fix' for this, but in fact all it is is a startup script that runs after the spmgr starts to call 'vgchange -a y ...' or whatever.

Talk to your HP support contact to get the fix.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
James Hammond
Occasional Contributor

It definitely is not the AUTO_VG_ACTIVATE as that is already set to 1 and none of the volume groups are clustered. I'll check with HP support for the patch. Thanks for both of your responses!