cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why EVA 8400 is slower than EVA 8100?

Dennis-Lee
Advisor

Why EVA 8400 is slower than EVA 8100?

We bought a new EVA 8400(restore time: 17 hours) and it always runs slower than EVA 8100(restore time: 11 hours), I have been testing for more than 1 week, please help. The configuration is listed below:
22GB cache, 4 front-end ports
168 * 300GB, 15Krpm FC HDD
RAID 5 * 8 for SQL Server database files
RAID 1 for transaction log file
EVA 8100:
8GB cache, 4 front-end ports
168GB * 146GB, 15Krpm FC HDD
RAID 5 * 9 for SQL server database files
RAID 1 for transaction log file.
7 REPLIES 7
Dennis-Lee
Advisor

Re: Why EVA 8400 is slower than EVA 8100?

By the way, does EVA need to initialize virtual disk or do regular format before using it?
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

have you monitored the perfomance with evaperf?

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

It does sound as though the EVA8400 should be faster...

What does the SAN switch infrasture look like ?

Are you getting any errors being reported on the switch ports ?

Cheers,

Rob
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Dennis,
At this point 3 major factor are there to consider:

1. What else running on the EVA8400 and how is the diskgroup utilization? you can't expect the same performance if EVA is used by more hosts and diskgroup utilization is higher on EVA8400.

2. How the Controllers and FP ports are utilized/balanced on EVA8400. If multipathing hosts are sending all the IOs to either one controller or one pair of controller ports then it might be a congestion on the EVA's HSV controllers or FP ports.

3. Are you using RAID6 for other servers? Not to start a whole new conversation here but RAID6 needs more processing power from HSV controllers and in some cases might impact the overall performance.

On the CommandViewEVA server, you can look at the EVA perf stats under perfmon.exe. See if everything is balanced and controllers are not heavily utilized.

*Waiting on your reply*
Dennis-Lee
Advisor

Hi Patrick,
Yes, 405MB(uncompressed). Should I upload to my ftp site?
==
Hi Rob,
The same SAN. No, no errors in switch.
==
Hi Amardeep,
1. No other application is running.
2. I had viewed some evaperf data. It is balanced in controllers and FPs most of the time.
3. No, RAID 5 for data, RAID 1 for log. Same configurations on both EVA.
4. It's strange after upgrade to CV 9.2, performance objects are missing. but I saw evaperf and it is balanced.
==
By the way, I found something really strange. If I restore to a new created LUN, it will be slow. But IF I restore to a used LUN(created for a long time or has been restored before), the restore time is almost the same as EVA 8100. Does LUN/VD in EVA 8400 need to be "initialized" or "format" before using them?
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Dennis,

I have observed couple of times the same issue. If we use the LUN immediately after creating, the performance on that vdisk will be slow. We can observe some backed activity on the disk group after creation.It will take some time to complete that activity, after that Vdisk will perform better.

regrds,
siva
Highlighted
DogBytes
Valued Contributor

Dennis,

you mentioned you're doing restores which, depending on direction, could be mostly read I/O. Have you checked the mirror port utilization during your restore operation?

Also, are you seeing any ownership transition events in the controller event log? If you are, I'm wondering if performance gets better after these transitions...