108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows 2003 and MSA 2012sa

SOLVED
Go to solution
GastonADI

Windows 2003 and MSA 2012sa

Hi all,
Does someone knows how to add/configurate (not hardware)by SAS cable a MSA 2012sa to a Ms Windows 2003 R2 SP2 Enterprise? I have the server (HP DL380 G5) installed and running, and the storage with 2 vdisk created. I had used SMU to create the vdisks but Windows doesn't recognize them, I don't use LUN's and preferred to still do it.
Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Windows 2003 and MSA 2012sa

A virtual disk (vdisk) is just a RAID container and NOT visible to a host. You must create at least one volume per vdisk and map it/them to a host's LUN address space.
GastonADI

Is the only way to do it? Could I create an array with ACU?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, that (by volume) is the way the MSA2000 series (and other storage arrays) works. Some work similar, but may use different terminology.

A mapping to a LUN address is required due to the use of SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) protocol, but it works the same way in parallel SCSI, iSCSI and Fibre Channel (FCP is another form of serial SCSI).

You cannot use ACU (Array Configuration Utility), because the MSA2000 series is not based on Compaq/HP SmartArray controller technology. You can continue to use SMU (via web browser) or a command line (serial or via IP).
GastonADI

Once I had created the vdisk and a LUN, how can I attach it to the server over a mini-SAS cable?
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

MSA 2000 sa uses Unified LUN Presentation (ULP). ULP exposed all LUNs through all host ports on both controllers. ULP appears to the host as an active-active storage system where the host can choose any available path to access a LUN regardless of vdisk/LUN ownership.

The presentation is same as Fibre channel. It's done by using the WWN or "SAS address" of the SAS Adapter on the Host.

To read more on WWN on SAS you can refer to Page 58 here:-

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01394283/c01394283.pdf

Cheers,
Sunny

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

marsh_1
Honored Contributor