HPE EVA Storage
1753519 Members
4123 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Would "cfgenable" initialize the loop during execution ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alex_452

Would "cfgenable" initialize the loop during execution ?

Task is create two port-based zones on 2/8 switch installed into MSA1000. I need one zone to include few ports and internal port of MSA controller and the other zone to incude 2 different ports. Currently switch has default config, running fabric OS 3.1.0 and single host connected to port 1 is actively using MSA1000 disks. No other hosts/storage units attached to switch.

My question is: Can I apply new zone config on the fly ? Would the 'cfgenable' initialize the existing loop or in any other way interrupt traffic between MSA1000 controller and host connected to first port ?
3 REPLIES 3
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Alex,

so long as you do not modify the zone for the host that is currently in production and accessing MSA1000 based storage - NO, re-enabling a configuration with additional zones in it is not disruptive in nature. Addition of aliases and zones in a production SAN Fabric environment is a routine task - if they made it disruptive - life would become extremely difficult.

Ofcourse the assumption is you are not modifying the zoning configuration for the production host that already has fabric level and SSP level access to the MSA1000.
Alex_452

Yes, but if I have NO enabled zone config in switch at the moment, am I right thinking that I would have to create two zones - one for current production and additional one with not connected ports? Or if I create single zone with two specified disconnected ports would this mean that all other ports which aren't part of configuration are still be communicating with each other while I'm isolating two other ports in separate zone (during enablecfg) ?
Hanh_3
Frequent Advisor
Solution

"Yes, but if I have NO enabled zone config in switch at the moment, am I right thinking that I would have to create two zones - one for current production and additional one with not connected ports?"

If new server use LUN from the current MSA1000, you should config 2 zone: one contains new server's ports and MSA1000's ports, and the other contains the production server's port (port 1) and MSA100's ports. And remember to set SSP so that there's no conflict in LUN presentation to servers..

If new servers don't use LUn form MSA1000, the fisrt zone doesn't need to have MSA1000'ports. And the second zone must be created, so that production server can access MSA1000.

"Or if I create single zone with two specified disconnected ports would this mean that all other ports which aren't part of configuration are still be communicating with each other while I'm isolating two other ports in separate zone (during enablecfg) ? "
No,they can't. Because when you enable a zone configuration, serves/storage that don't join any zone can not communicate with other devices. Remember, only members on active zone can communicate with the other members on the same zone.

"Can I apply new zone config on the fly ? Would the 'cfgenable' initialize the existing loop or in any other way interrupt traffic between MSA1000 controller and host connected to first port ?"
Yes, you can. There will be just a litle interrupt but it's okie.