New Discussion юеВ

Re: Zonning on HP Storagework 4/16 SAN SWITCH

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Zonning on HP Storagework 4/16 SAN SWITCH

Hi All,
I have a 4/16 SAn Switch with MSA 1500 and almost 10 hosts connected via this SAN Switch. Right now there's no Zonning down on the SAN Switch. Now i want to do zonning on this WWN Based zonning on this SAN Switch. I wana know what kind of impact new zone configuration will make on the existing switch configuration. IS there any risk associated with it ot not.

waiting for your quick response. Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
LucianoCarvalho
Respected Contributor

Hi,

The impact of havng a new zoning configuration, is create the zonning not correctly (mistyped wwn for example) and lost access fromt hosts to storage disks or tapes.
A zoning config will not change your switch config.

Regards
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

When you enable the zoning configuration, there will be a brief interruption of access to the MSA from your hosts.

If you're running in a redundant configuration then you will probably find that things fail over to the alternative path.

If you're not running things redundantly you should ensure that the operating systems can cope with a brief outage.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Dear Rob,
Thanks for all your help.
Am using two switches with hosts having 2 HBA's connected to both the switches. how can i confirm from host end which path is being used by the host currently?

Waiting for your feedback.

Mike Reznak
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

it depends on host OS type. You could be able either to see it directly from os level (OpenVMS) or from device shell (Win).

Mike
...and I think to myself, what a wonderful world ;o)
Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Hi,
I have few windows and Linux hosts connected to my SAN Switches. How can i confirm from my host end which path they are using right now.

Thanks for all the help till now.