5471 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: disk group hardware failure

phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

disk group hardware failure

Hi,
We have an eva 4400 with one disk group. This morning an error occured on the command view. within disk groups it says 'the following vdisks and data replication groups have failed as a result of a hardware failure in this disk group'.

I can see the disk in the disk enclosure 'operational state = !Populated (data disk)

I have checked the staus summary and virtual disk and disk group has an 1 under the failed
In the disk drive list all are listed as good so i am a bit confused why this is happening.

Any help much apprecited.
4 REPLIES 4
phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

i have swapped the failed disk but the default disk group still says degraded. The eva does not say it leveling but i can see the free space on the new drive going down.

Disk Group Hardware Failure
The following Vdisks and data replication groups have failed as a result of a hardware failure in this disk group.
Failed Vdisks
Virtual Disks\ServerS1 Disks\WSUS

Failed Data Replication Groups
No failed DR groups

Click the Continue with no changes button to continue operation without changing anything in your system at this time. In some cases, repairing the hardware will allow your system's virtualization features to automatically repair the Vdisk failure. Your disk group will display as degraded until you repair your hardware or return to this page to delete the failed Vdisks and DR groups shown above.

Click the Start deletion process button to delete the failed Vdisks and data replication groups shown above. If the hardware failure is minor, your disk group will be restored to normal operation, but without the failed objects above. If the hardware failure is severe, and your disk group cannot be restored, it will be deleted along with the objects listed above.
If your Vdisk has a mirrorclone, it will be automatically detached.

will this resolve itself after the leveling has finished or has the vdisk had it.

Problem is, this stops me doing anything on the san until this is resolved & and we are desperate to expand a fifferent disk.

Thanks
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What is the Vraid level of Vdisk "Virtual Disks\ServerS1 Disks\WSUS".

If it is a vraid 0 volume, then it will be failed.

Kites BM
Regular Advisor

hello,

If you find yourself needing to ungroup and reseat a disk on an EVA 4400/6400/8400, please check out this tech note.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3664763&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c01987964

On these models, there are additional steps to be taken before ungrouping can be done.

Kites
phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

thanks for your help. It was vraid0!! i caould not see in the eva what vraid it was but found the info in the logs.

Thanks for your help.