1753521 Members
5189 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

enabling ports on dual channel HBA

Doug Wilburn
Advisor

enabling ports on dual channel HBA

I just installed two FCA2684DC HBA's in my ES47 running Tru64 5.1B. I set the NVRAM by going into WWIDMGR and setting topo to "fabric". When I booted the system, I get connectivity to the SAN switch using port 1 on each card, but no connectivity using port 0. Is there a jumper on these cards or a driver or OS setting that enables both ports or is it possible I got two bad cards that behave the same way?
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: enabling ports on dual channel HBA

No, I don't think there is a jumper on the board to disable it. This simply works out-of-the-box.

If the SAN switch does not show a link, it could be a problem with the switch port, the cable or the adapter port. Just swap the connections to see if a link comes up.
You can also use the WWIDMGR for some basic troubleshooting:
>>>wwidmgr -show ports

Should show the WWN of the SAN switch.
Doug Wilburn
Advisor

Thanks, but I'm using the same fiber cable and plugging into the same switch port - all I'm doing is moving the same cable from port 1 on the hba to port 0. Then I lose connectivity at the switch.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Interesting. If both cards show this behaviour it is quite unlikely that both are damaged.

After you have moved the cable to the adapter's port-0, can you run ">>> init" and ">>> wwidmgr -show ports" ?
Doug Wilburn
Advisor

Thanks for sticking with me on this. I'm going to have to schedule some down time with users. It will likely be early next week. In the meantime, I wondered if you could tell me what the emx driver error msgs mean in the attached file (taken from /var/adm/messages). All I could find is that they were probably just informational, rather than errors affecting functionality of the hba's.
Doug Wilburn
Advisor

I haven't received permission yet for downtime, but here is a little more info. I did not install NHD7 - I assumed that the driver I needed was included in Tru64 5.1B PK6. Perhaps a bad assumption? Also, when I built a new kernel following install of hba's and inserting "config_driver emx" in the /sys/conf/NAME file, I hadn't booted to genvmunix, ie. I was still running my old kernel. Would that make a difference when building a new kernel?