New Discussion юеВ

eva8000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Re: eva8000

hi,

I must be still missing a step. I have my machine configured with windows 2003 server and the newest command view loaded. I do not get any errors. I have it connected to a cisco switch. I am linked to it. I connect from that to the loop switch in the eva. I have one fiber cable going to the top left loop switch and a fiber cable going to the bottom right loop switch. When I plug them in I get a link light on the loop switch. When I run command view it says it does not see the eva.

Thanks
Jon
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

You need to connect the host ports on the back of the EVA controllers to the SAN switch.

The only connections to the loop switches should be out to the disks shelves, and the connections to the controllers themselves.

Cheers,

Rob
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

If you haven't found it yet, the hardware configuration guide sounds like it would be of use:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01364500/c01364500.pdf

Cheers,
Rob
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

I have one fiber cable connected to the FP1 port of controller a and another fiber cable connected to the FP1 port of controller b. I still cannot see the eva. I have solid link lights showing connected. I am using an MDS 9216A cisco switch. Sorry to be a pain but trying to learn this.

Thanks a lot.

Jon
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

The connections on the back of the 8000 are labeled FP1 through FP4. All four odd (FP1, FP3) ports should be in one VSAN. All four even (FP2, FP4) ports need to be in a different VSAN. You mention Cisco, but I can't tell if there's one or two switches. If only one, you could set up two VSANs which by their very nature are independent of each other. Of course, if you have two switches, set up one VSAN on each. Then one connection from the Command View server joins one VSAN, the other HBA connection to the other VSAN. Regardless, once the ports are connected to the appropriate VSANs, you will then need to set up zones for each server (initially just the Command View server) to the EVA ports.

Once you have the FPs connected to the Cisco switch(es) and the ports are active, you should see the EVA WWN (5000-1FE1-xxxx-xxxx) on the switches.
You should also see the EVA WWN (5000-1FE1-xxxx-xxx0) switching with the EVA name (probably something like "") on the Control Panel of both EVA controllers. If you see "0000-0000-0000-0000", you need to enter the WWN and checksum from the sticker as mentioned above.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Also I do not know if this makes any difference. The controllers have the WWN numbers showing up. But then the screen goes to display this
Storage System Name

Is this something that gets named when I can finally see it?

Thanks
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Yes. Once you finally initialize the array with Command View, the name you give it (which you can change later at any time) will appear there.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have fp1 connected to vsan1 from controller a and from controller b.

I have my 2 internal fiber cards connected to vsan1.

They all show connected when I check them from the cisco switch.

I still cannot see the eva.

As said earlier about the firmware of the eva. Could that cause this problem?

Jon
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Possibly. The OCP shows a lot of "stuff" (a technical term ). The firmware line we want to know would start with "XCS".

More likely, Cisco switches normally do not allow traffic unless the member ports are in zones. While only ports within a VSAN would have the *possibility* of talking to each other, a connection would still not occur until they are zoned.

Accept or Kudo

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

In addition to the version of XCS firmware on the EVA 8000, other questions are:
How many Cisco switches, what model(s), and what firmare versions are they running?
What make and model of HBA in the Command View server, and what firmare versions are they running?
There are limits on what versions of what are supported.

A lot of the information is scattered around the HP web site. It's also consolidated at the HP StorageWorks' Single Point Of Connectivity Knowledge (SPOCK): http://www.hp.com/storage/spock

You should look at "SAN Compatibility", and under "Other Hardware" "Switches", look at the "C-Series FC Switch Connectivity Stream" to see what versions of firmware are supported on the Cisco switches.

And start reading through the "SAN Design Guide", starting with "Part 1: Architecture".

Accept or Kudo