HPE EVA Storage
1748180 Members
4342 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to read an snmp trap event from EVA?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrea Barghigiani
Occasional Contributor

how to read an snmp trap event from EVA?

hello,
I activated an snmp trap server to trap events from EVA. The problem is that I don't know how to decypher these messages. Here is an example:

IP: 192.168.xxx.yyy

Description:
UDP: = [192.168.xxx.yyy]:32917
SNMPv2-MIB::sysUpTime.0 = 119:4:20:06.34
SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 = CPQHSV300V9-MIB::sCellEventTrap-01-02
CPQHSV300V9-MIB::scellNameDateTime = "eva4400: 30-Sep-2010/16:09:32"
CPQHSV300V9-MIB::scellSWComponent = 1
CPQHSV300V9-MIB::scellECode = 2
CPQHSV300V9-MIB::scellCAC = 0
CPQHSV300V9-MIB::scellEIP = 13
SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB::snmpCommunityMIBObjects.3.0 = 192.168.xxx.yyy
SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB::snmpCommunityMIBObjects.4.0 = "Public"

how can I understand the meaning of the messages? Is there a legend?

bulgaro
10 REPLIES 10
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

I am afraid you need a good understanding how the EVA event formats work to really make use if it. I don't recall I've seen an easy reference guide in public and some information at least is scattered in documentation or files.

If the "13" in "scellEIP = 13" is in decimal *and* the HSV300 event structure is similar to the HSV200 (for which I happen to have an event parse file on disk), then:
Event Information Packet Type: d
EIP0D - Executive Services System Time Change
A change in system time occurred.

CAC is the "Corrective Action Code" - you can grab a list from the event display in CV-EVA. "0" means no user action necessary.

SWComponent - If I recall correctly, it points to a particular firmware module, but I don't have seen a list.
Andrea Barghigiani
Occasional Contributor

thank you for the response. so there isn't any way to have a clear translation of the message. The only way is to read EVA logs on the command view. Is there any HP software that can automatically alert users for problems?
bulgaro
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

There is "Insight Remote Support", which can analyze the event logs, evaluate the warnings / errors and even send that information to the HP service center for a faster response:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?groupName=Insight+Remote+Support

The 'Standard' edition is for a few servers / storage arrays and the 'Advanced' edition plugs into the HP Systems Insight Manager (HPSIM).
The user does get a copy of the notification.
Oscar_Maim├│
Regular Advisor

Hi Andrea:
I have configured Nagios to understand the EVA traps. It is posible. You must load the MIB in Nagios and with snmptt catch and translate the trap. After that configure a service in Nagios for Command View server to send alert messages.
Doc for this is available at http://www.snmptt.org
Greetings
Oscar
Assign points if helpful
Andrea Barghigiani
Occasional Contributor

hello oscar,
I don't use nagios at the moment, but your information is very useful.
I loaded the eva parse file and tried to use it, but I don't understand how to find the shellECode meaning: in that file every Event Code is a 8 hex digit, but the snmp trap indicates only a 1 or 2 decimal digit. which is the rule?
bulgaro
Oscar_Maim├│
Regular Advisor

Andrea:
Eva parse file is a file for parsing EVA logs. I believe that only HP technicians have the tools to do this. Maybe Uwe may explain you about this.
From my experience, when I receive the trap through Nagios (paging, mail) I check the events in Command View. All things have pros and cons :)
Greetings
Oscar
hpohad
Occasional Advisor

i need some help too please

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

first of all you can get the command View MIB 

you can get it from command view system options - Configure even tnotification - get MIB

also if you install IRS standart on your command view server

it installs WEBES which can translate EVA events and send SNMP traps or SMTP mail

you can download from HP

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=RSSTANDARD

Zohar

hpohad
Occasional Advisor

hye

thank you very much for your help

but i did what you said and i got the mib like you said but it didnt help i just recieved numbers

i am guessing that irs with webes translates the events and traps and sends them as text

one last question , im worried because of the sensitivity of the cammand view server , so im asking , is this the only way , or can i install it on a diffrent place , or can i do a backup before installation

also if you know of a recomended snmp trap listener catcher

thank you again for your big help