5621 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

san switch cascading

noor Parkar_1
Occasional Advisor

san switch cascading

hi all,

i have two hp brocade 8/24 SLKWRM 300 Switches connected to HP EVA. I have all zoning configuration.

i have two HP SN3000B SAN Switches connected to 3PAR.  i have all zoning configuration in this switches also.

i need to cascade hp SN 3000B switches with eva switches without losing any configuration in both switches.

then once in fabric, i can present luns from 3 par to eva servers.

how to do that. ?

what i know domain id should be higher in hp SN 3000B san switches to make as subordinate.

but i dont want to clear zoning configuration.

the plan is to migrate data from EVA to 3par.

6 REPLIES 6
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: san switch cascading

The zoning configurations have to be the same. Identical aliases, zones, and cfgs on both halves of the pair. A very tedious manual process, but definitely possible. I'd suggest uploading a switch pair's switch configurations so you can see all the zoning definitions. The switch command line is a big help.

When you think you are ready, connect your ISL between the pair. If they don't join up, they whill both throw an error and continue to operate as two separate switches. Disconnect and look again for what you've missed.

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

In addition, 

If you will use multiple ISLs, check that you have license to use trunks.
Check that the Fabric OS versions are compatible if they are not the same - see release notes.

I wonder if there is a recommendation for the routing policy for this migration from the EVA to the 3PAR.. Port-based or exchange-based? 

noor Parkar_1
Occasional Advisor

hi sheldon,

what will happend if i directly connect now.

As you said , Identical aliases, zones, and cfgs have to be same on both halves of the pair. can you explain this part.

i am not doing anything. just gathering info.

Thanks 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The domain ID of the switches in a single fabric have to be different. Then the config (zoning) will merge if you connect the switches. Make sure you have a good configuration backup! You may need licences to make this work.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

What part of identical don't you understand? Both halves must have the same list of aliases, zones, and zone configuration(s). Names and values (port WWNs) must be the same.

Assuming both halves have the same zoning list, and they have different switch domain IDs, they will most likely link up.
If not, they will complain, and continue to run as two independent  SAN islands.

As my collegue mentioned, their might be license issues once the switches are joined. However considering their "newness", I suspect that will not be a problem. Once again, if there is, disconnect the ISL and mitigate the issue.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

noor Parkar_1
Occasional Advisor

hi,

i think , if we connect one port of each host to 3par san switches i.e hp SN 3000B switches  directly this will avoid cascading difficulty.

we have dell blade enclosure, and rack mountable servers having two HBAs, disconnecting one should not be issue.