1753969 Members
7227 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: weird eva 4000

Khalil Hesam
Advisor

weird eva 4000

I have an eva 4000 attached to my CV 6 and have no problem with it. recently I added another eva 4000 to the system and used the CV to connect to it. I can see it with no warnings or failures, but the strange thing is I just see one of the controllers! I checked all the cabling and everything seems to be OK. Also I checked the controller itself and it thinks everything is OK too. but I can't see it in the CV anyway!

Anyone knows what's the problem? As I can see two controllers for my old EVA but just one for the new one, but it shows no warnings nor failures.
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

CV must be able to talk to both controller modules. I would also check the FC switch zoning to make sure this requirement is met.
Another helpful diagnostic is to look into the Windows device manager and count the number of EVA controller devices to check if some are missing.
And it might be possible that the EVA has lost part of its management capability. In that case it is necessary to reboot one or both controllers.
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

I have seen this before (many a times) and there are 2 strong reasons for this behavior;

1. Zoning is not done correctly. Try recreating zones for second controller.

2. Reboot the CV-EVA management server (NOT the EVA). I can't give you any reason for it but this is the way it works !!! ;)

If you still can't solve the problem, as suggested by Uwe, you may need to look at any controller component failure.

Let us know....
Khalil Hesam
Advisor

I restarted the 2nd HSV, checked FC switch zones, all the hardware modules, also all the connections. Even changed the connections with each other. Still same problem.

I can't restart the CV server now, I should wait for a day to do it.

I'll report the result of restarting CV server when I do it.
Thanks for the helps anyway.
Mustafa Gulercan
Respected Contributor

Selam Khalil;
did you check the controller firmware of second eva?
check that command view eva 6 support that firmware.
and second;
if you don't want to restart the management server you may restart the CV's services.

regards,
mustafa
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Can you dump your zone config to a text file and post it? Sometimes having a second pair of eyes look it over helps.

Also, as stated, check the EVA firmware. Though I do not think that CV would even see one controller if the firmware was at a higher level then supported for the current running version of CV6.

See if there is an update for CV6 that you have not applied yet.

I assume your CV server is running some other production application?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Khalil Hesam
Advisor

Problem solved! I checked the firmwares and CV-6 updates and everything was OK. Then I left the devices for an hour to go to a meeting and when I returned everything was OK.

I don't know what's happened, but I'm sure no one has worked on it. So it seems that it's started working itself. Anyone has had similar experience? I guess we should add "just wait some time" to the general solutions!

Thanks all for the answers.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, sometimes it is really necessary to wait a bit. Some processes require up to 10 or 15 minutes.

From the early versions (V1) I've learned:

***** no power-clicking! *****