1747980 Members
3800 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP: please dump Lithium

Alex Geroulaitis
Respected Contributor

HP: please dump Lithium

I'd like to encourage HP to quickly find an alternative to Lithium, which is the current platform for this forum.  Here is why:

• Too many problems (sign on, browser compatibility, spam)
  • Insufficient functionality (in-line spell-check, ability to switch between text and RT modes on the fly, etc.)
  • Low traction: the platform presents unfamiliar and confusing interface compared to any other forum platform I've seen - and I've seen a lot.
  • The longer you wait the more difficult it will become to migrate
  • Lithium is unlikely to actively develop the platform to make it competitive with other major players.  This adds to the point: the longer you wait, the worse it becomes.

I realize HP puts a priority on making this platform compatible with HP Passport SSO system, and has probably invested a lot in it, however this is not an excuse for continued problems and lack of functionality.  Please dump Lithium.  Get a vBulletin or a similar platform even if it doesn't use Passport SSO.

Thank you.

Systems Administrator
(if my post was helpful, please "mark as a solution" or give "kudos" - thanks)
12 REPLIES 12
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Good luck.  I assume that the people who chose this software in the
first place did so because it is much shinier than the old software, not
because it works better for the victims.  It's still much shinier than
the old software, so why would they consider another change?  (Especially
when it would involve admitting a big (probably expensive) mistake.)

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I seem to recall the official phrase being something along the lines of  "HP has partnered with Lithium".  As long as I'm speculating based on my hazy recollections, I would guess that means that there are contractual obligations.  To me that means that there is roughly zero percent chance that HP is going to "dump Lithium", but miracles sometimes happen.  Keep on hoping!

Pete
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi ALex:

I agree with you, Steven and and Pete.  For a myriad of reasons I'm sure we're stuck with Lithium.

As a vetern of this community since mid-2000, we spent years asking HP for simple enhancements, including sig-blocks, uploadable pictures, spell-checking (though I want to let my browser to that, thank you!), and the ability to post formatted code blocks.

For nearly a year before the great mutation, HP solicited feedback on the final shape of this new forum.  Personally, I don't feel that very much of the user-input that was made altered the course of this Titanic.  It had been conceived and was largely immutable thereafter.

I suppose we can take heart in knowing that after literally *years* of begging HP for changes in the old ITRC we got them, for better or for worse, indeed.

Regards!

...JRF...

Alex Geroulaitis
Respected Contributor

Thank you for the good luck wishes and for the feedback gentlemen.

To me, the relatively low traffic on this forum (compared to that on the forums of smaller companies) is already a huge symptom that the Titanic is taking the wrong course.  It won't crash - but is more than likely to head into the void and eventually become irrelevant.

That said, I was just venting - I needed to ask HP out loud to dump their current social platform - or it would just hang like a dark cloud over my conscience.  I do realize it takes more than a few little fishes to alter the course of Titanic.

(Also, I was just thinking.... Ideally the platform would need to tie-in with G+ or FB profiles for identity management and social engagement.  Any specialty social platform that won't, will likely become irrelevant soon - within a year or two.  Just look at LA Times (and many others) adopting FB identities for their social engagement despite trying to develop their own platform for years.  Any hey - if LA Times can dump their platform in favor of FB APIs - so can HP?  Comments?)

Systems Administrator
Peter Marko
Honored Contributor

I might have found the reason for all of this - cost reduction -> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/business/26unbox.html
After more than 2 months I think that the 1-9-90 rule does not apply here anymore, we have lost it during migration :(
D Hook1
Valued Contributor

After not being able to sign on for 10 days straight, ("Bad Gateway" error) finally was able to sign on using a private browser window suggested by someone else in another thread.  Using IE8.

Hard to believe HP is so deaf to problems with this board.  Used to be a great company.  Now it seems to be run by the gov't;, same level of caring and incompetence.

I'm with the above poster; fix it or dump it.

TomSmith
Regular Advisor

Unfortunately I don't think HP is really listening to our complaints, I am sure they will perform minor updates, to placate the few who are complaining, but they have set their direction and do not seem likely to change anytime soon.

Personally, I have grown tired of complaining and I have decided to dump HP.

Alex Geroulaitis
Respected Contributor

@Peter Marko wrote:
I might have found the reason for all of this - cost reduction -> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/business/26unbox.html
After more than 2 months I think that the 1-9-90 rule does not apply here anymore, we have lost it during migration :(

Thanks for that link - it's much clearer to me now.  Some bright spark at the top: we can fire the geeks now!  There are all these techies who can't wait to work for us for free!!!  Just get them to drink some Lithium Kool-Aid!  :)

Hard to believe HP didn't ask someone with a smudge of social marketing experience about a proper way of doing this.  On the other hand - I do - given the TouchPad, WebOS and the mandated anti-bribery partner training fiascoes among other things.

Systems Administrator
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Yes, thanks for that link.  That does, indeed, seem to explain far
too much.

"That alone is addictive," Mr. Fong said. "They are revered by their peers."

Thus spake Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius.  Obviously I'm not in the
target market.  Unless "addictive" is a new synonym for "annoying to the
point of revulsion".  I'll sure miss my shiny new avatar-picture when
I'm gone.