Feedback
1752369 Members
5736 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE Community - Networking - any ArubaOS-CX sub-section will be created anytime soon?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

HPE Community - Networking - any ArubaOS-CX sub-section will be created anytime soon?

I ask for that given that HPE Community - Networking, compared to Aruba Airheads, has a long story, it looks bigger (at least that's what I feel) and benefits from the HP ProCurve heritage so ArubaOS-Switch operating system based actual Aruba Switches' topics found a good groundfloor to be discussed (as still happens for any HP ProVision operating system based switches' topic in the HP ProCurve/ProVision section).

With this preamble I ask if, anytime soon, a dedicated section about ArubaOS-CX (for Aruba 8320 and Aruba 8400) will ever born.

Good discussions can be done on Aruba Airheads under the recently renamed Aruba Airheads Community Wired Intelligent Edge (ex-Campus Switching and Routing)...there Aruba Airheads MVP, TME, Employees and Managers involved with such new product line are all pretty much available and very responsive but, I think, it will be nice (let me to use this term) to see some discussions about Aruba 8320/8400 shared also here where a broader switching oriented public would be probably be present (or not?).

I make this assumption when thinking about Aruba VSF technology: IMHO it was discussed more here on HPE Community other than on Airheads Community although it is primarily an "Aruba related thing" (yes, valid on some updated and specific HP ProCurve branded switch series too). Pretty strange. 

Is it a bad idea? it will cause overlappings?

What will happen to HP ProCurve/ProVision (if not renamed into something like ProVision/ArubaOS-Switch) section if the campus topics will be left to be discussed on Aruba Airheads because now the brand name is Aruba and not more HP ProCurve or HPE for such part of switching equipments?

Kind regards, Davide.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
13 REPLIES 13
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HPE Community - Networking - any ArubaOS-CX sub-section will be created anytime soon?

The simplest solution is to add "Aruba" name in front of the current Procurve board name.

I've been wanting to make that suggestion for some time.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Or change ProCurve/ProVision into ProVision/ArubaOS-Switch/ArubaOS-CX removing brand name ProCurve since we're speaking about Switches operating system names not about Switch/Portfolio brand names (exactly as we refer exactly to Comware not to FlexFabric, as example).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

At least you can mention all these names in the wordy description of the board.

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProCurve-ProVision-Based/bd-p/switching-e-series-forum

parnassus
Honored Contributor

For that matter - here Airheads would probably teach - I would simply keep grouped all switching/routing related threads under a single main umbrella...often a too well pre-defined topics categorization (under Networking -> Switching and Routing we then see a mix of OSes/Brands and UI/non-UI categories, as example) is seldom understood and it is also rarely followed by first time posters (IMHO networking users tend to not care placing their posts into the right category first, they just post under Networking...sometime they post under other HPE Community main areas and administrators promptly move those posts under Networking).

My take: if enhancing/extending the pre-defined categorization scheme is the way to go then renaming/adding a category would not hurt...if instead we want to avoid to add new fragmentations (or to add too wordy section names/descriptions <-- but we're forced to do so and to categorize threads that way by using a descriptive category naming and grouping scheme exactly because we use that drill-down approach to keep threads well classified) then semplification into a big inclusive category is the way to go (the already existing "Switching and Routing" should fit). Probably we can't have both.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Looks like the change was made: Aruba & ProVision-based

https://community.hpe.com/t5/Aruba-ProVision-based/bd-p/switching-e-series-forum

(thanks!)

MargaretN
Respected Contributor

Hi,

We reviewed and got agreement with the business to make the changes, so thank you again for suggesting this.

The execution was ahead of the game!

MargaretN

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Good thing!

Personally I would have preferred a section renaming into "ArubaOS-Switch & ProVision based" instead of just "Aruba & ProVision based" exactly to avoid branding/naming confusions/weirdnesses I detailed above...but, as a first step, it's better than nothing|

I'm not an HPE Employee
Lynn-Marie
Valued Contributor

Hi Parnassus,

I was thinking the word "Switch" wouldn't be necessary, since it is a switching forum. Do you think ArubaOS & ProVision based Switch would be better? It seems odd to call out that the Aruba products are switches when the ProVision based products are also switches. Let me know your thoughts, and thank you in advance for the discussion.

Kind regards,
Lynn-Marie

Accept or Kudo

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hello @Lynn-Marie, thanks for letting this conversation to go further.

The point is that - decided that HPE Community Networking forum section will rename the sub-section dedicated to old HP ProCurve Switch series and new Aruba Switch series by referring to the switch series operating system and not the brand name - then we must adhere to what HP, HPE and Aruba currently use to designate and differentiate their actual Switch series:

Aruba Switch series actually use these two different operating systems::

• ArubaOS-Switch operating system (it was the old HP ProVision, rebranded and renamed after the Aruba acquisition by HPE given that Aruba now develops some of the - and all the currents - Campus and Access Switch series that, years ago, were developed by HP under the well known umbrella name HP ProCurve). ArubaOS-Switch is often abbreviated into AOS-Switch. <-- so Yes, IMHO ArubaOS-Switch it's a little bit odd...as name! ...the point is that it is the new name of ProVision operating system that HPE Aruba decided to use to avoid confusion with existing ArubaOS operating system already used on some of their Wireless product lines (heritage of Aruba Networking era pre-HPE acquisition [*]).
  • ArubaOS-CX operating system (for flagship Aruba 8400 and Aruba 8320 Switch series dedicated to Campus Core). ArubaOS-CX is abbreviated into AOS-CX.

Just to add some noise, consider that ArubaOS is (and always was) instead the specific name of Aruba Mobility (WiFi) Controllers and "Fat" Wireless AP's operating systems. ArubaOS is often abbreviated into AOS.

So using ArubaOS & ProVision based Switch (instead of longer ArubaOS-Switch & ProVision based Switch series) will not be correct because that classification title would represent and include, concurrently, actual WiFi Aruba Mobility Controllers (so no Switches, strictly speaking!) & old HP ProCurve switch series.

As written on a post above, probably using the ProVision/ArubaOS-Switch/ArubaOS-CX based title would be the best solution because it is able to represent both the old and the current in terms of operating systems running on well known (by professionals) Campus/Access grade Switch series.

HPE, on the other side, owns the Data Center side of the coin: Comware operating system Switch Series (FlexFabric, FlexNetwork up to some "low-end" OfficeConnect Switch series).

[*] Not forgetting that Aruba Networking had MAS (Mobility Access Switch) Swich series with the already cited ArubaOS tailored operating system. Aruba Networking MAS are now superseded by Aruba switches.

I'm not an HPE Employee