cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elitebook 8760w video card problem

vasya1965
Occasional Visitor

Elitebook 8760w video card problem

My system is Elitebook 8760w, i7-2820QM, 16 GB ram and Quadro 4000m GPU. OS is Windows 10 x64.

Yesterday I hibernated my system after very light use, no thermal stress on CPU or GPU. Today the system would not start at all. On pressing the power button the fan would whirl for about 5 seconds and then shut down. No display.

After a few tries the display appeared but the system could be started only in the safe mode. After I disabled Quadro 4000m the system can be booted normally. If after boot I try to enable the GPU the system crashes instantly. Also, if I uninstall the Nvidia Gpu, delete the driver with display driver uninstaller, reboot and try to reinstall the driver, the system crashes. I have tried various drivers with the same result. As soon as the gpu is activated, the system crashes instantly.

Since the crash is instantaneous, it seems like insufficient power issue. Either the GPU is drawing excessive power or the system is not able to provide sufficient power. I'm using 120w adapter with fully charged battery. I have also tried only the adapter and only the battery with same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S.- This is my first post here. My apologies if this is not the correct forum forum.

1 REPLY 1
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Elitebook 8760w video card problem

This is the wrong company for printers and PC products. You need to register in the HP Inc. Support Forum:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/