1751894 Members
5176 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

HP ProBook 440 G2 Touch Screen Issue

QuintonAStevens

HP ProBook 440 G2 Touch Screen Issue

Hello all!

For the past couple weeks, I've been trying my hardest to get the HP ProBook 440 G2's touch screen to work. I have about 30 of this same model of laptop having the same issue. The touchscreen doesn't work while in Windows. I ahve discovered, however, that if you uninstall and reinstall either the monitor, HID-compliant touch device, or the graphics driver, that the touch screen works again for about 5 minutes. 

Running:

The computer is running Windows 10 64-bit. We have a custom image in our enterprise, but I also verified the problem exists on a stock Windows 10 64-bit ISO image. 

So here's what I've tried: 

Everything at this post: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03488148 under the "touch screen does not respond or responds intermittenly" as that is the only section that pertains to me. The only thing that I could not do is open properties, and turn off "power saving" as the driver for the touch screen installed does not have that tab as an option. I tried looking everywhere on HP's website for some kind of touch screen driver, but could not find one. 

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics driver, and uninstalling it and using the HP support center application to download drivers directly through the HP Support tool, with no luck still. I've updated the BIOS/UEFI, and I've tried using the touch screen and verifying all functionality before proceeding with any of the steps in this process chain (such as before reinstalling video drivers, before and after updating BIOS, etc.) 

I checked event viewer under the Application Tab, the System Tab, and also checked Event Viewer specifically for the "Monitor" device, the "HID-compliant touch screen" device, and the "Intel HD Graphics" device to see if any events showed up saying the touch screen has been disabled in any way. 

I've been at this for almost a month now, to no avail. Something else I've noticed is that these 30 laptops are all a slightly different SKU it seems (I can tell because they have a darker brushed aluminum and different keyboard key-clips, which gets annoying when keys fall off as we don't have replacements for this specific keyboard). I have about 4,000 other ProBook 440 G2 laptops, none of which have this problem. Just this particular SKU. I know they are a touch screen SKU still, because I've used the touch screen on them and it works for a few minutes at a time when the display gets reconnected through device manager. Unless HP made this model a non-touchscreen but kept the touch screen in and disabled in firmware somehow? I find that unlikely as the touch screen works fine in the UEFI menus. 

Anyways, thank you for reading this huge wall of text, and I apologise, but I really need a solution to this issue. 

Let me know if I need to include anything else. 

Regards,

Quinton Stevens

1 REPLY 1
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP ProBook 440 G2 Touch Screen Issue

This is the wrong company for printers and PC products. You need to register in the HP Inc. Support Forum:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/