3818 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Changes and new features after recent maintenance

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Changes and new features after recent maintenance

I've seen several changes:

1) 100,000s threads have been migrated.  They seem to be the most important ones, the ones that were closed!

These added +4700 posts to me has bumped me two ranks.

Note: now SEP is Exalted:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/kudos/kudosleaderboardpage/timerange/all/page/1/tab/authors

But nobody can compete with with 138,769 posts:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/408433

And there are a massive amount of these New posts counts.

2) Editing replies now includes what the post was replying to.  (It may have been there, I may have never looked down that far.)

3) You can delete your posts, if nobody has replied to them?  (May have been there?)

4) You now have an option to show/suppress RECENT TOPICS and/or RECENT POSTS.  See Preferences > Home Page.  (It doesn't seem to be working yet.)

5) There is now a Unread Discussions box but only on the main forum page.  Not sure how useful that is?

10 REPLIES 10
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@Dennis Handly wrote:

I've seen several changes:

1) 100,000s threads have been migrated.  They seem to be the most important ones, the ones that were closed!

These added +4700 posts to me has bumped me two ranks.

Note: now SEP is Exalted:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/kudos/kudosleaderboardpage/timerange/all/page/1/tab/authors

But nobody can compete with with 138,769 posts:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/408433

Yes, and as Kevin (HP) noted in the official announcement, these posts were "inadvertently" missed.  Amazing, isn't it?

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Announcements/Additional-ITRC-content-has-been-migrated/m-p/5286015#M10

As for the labels associated with each member, there were a number of "promotions".  Not only SEP and you, but also Clay, Pete and Torsten, Cheryl G. and myself, from what I remember.  I gained about 4,700 points too but no additional kudos which tells me the the kudos counts were set during the original migration.  What that says about the way the migration was done is interesting, too.

As far as I'm concerned, my long standing question of what comprises any given rank has been answered.  If one examines the first fifteen (15) top-kudos leaderboard one can see that there is *no* relationship between the number of kudos and the overall number of posts.  This is clear by examining the profile data for the individuals ranked 12-15 who represent three Honored and one Outstanding Contributor and yet have a near equal number of kudos.

The ratio of kudos to overall posts doesn't seem to factor into rankings at all.  What appears to matter is simply the number of posts one makes.  This makes me think of the Twitter statistics.  Chat-on folks.

...JRF... 

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

> As for the labels associated with each member, there were a number of "promotions".  Not only SEP and you, but also Clay, Pete and Torsten, Cheryl G. and myself, from what I remember.  I gained about 4,700 points too but no additional kudos

At what level are you looking at these kudo/post counts?  If you look the Community > OS > HP-UX level, I see virtually no difference.

Pete
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@Pete Randall wrote:

> As for the labels associated with each member, there were a number of "promotions".  Not only SEP and you, but also Clay, Pete and Torsten, Cheryl G. and myself, from what I remember.  I gained about 4,700 points too but no additional kudos

At what level are you looking at these kudo/post counts?  If you look the Community > OS > HP-UX level, I see virtually no difference.

Hi Pete:

Ah, that was poor on my part not to be explicit.  The data I was looking at is for the Community as a whole; the all-time Kudos Leaderboard:

Regards!

...JRF...

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Thanks, Jim.  That's what I figured but I wanted to be sure.  I hadn't captured any data from that level so wasn't really sure whether counts had gone up, down or sideways.  What I still find interesting/confusing is the posting/kudo count to title relationship.  If you look at #4, 5 and 6, there's a difference of roughly 100 kudos between each ranking, yet the titles are each different.  Then you drop all the way down to #10, who is an "Outstanding Contributor" again, which I assume to be better that the "Honored Contributors" at #6 - #9.  Does any of this really make any sense to anyone or will it forever be so mysterious that its value is totally lost?

Pete
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@Pete Randall wrote:

Thanks, Jim.  That's what I figured but I wanted to be sure.  I hadn't captured any data from that level so wasn't really sure whether counts had gone up, down or sideways.  What I still find interesting/confusing is the posting/kudo count to title relationship.  If you look at #4, 5 and 6, there's a difference of roughly 100 kudos between each ranking, yet the titles are each different.  Then you drop all the way down to #10, who is an "Outstanding Contributor" again, which I assume to be better that the "Honored Contributors" at #6 - #9.  Does any of this really make any sense to anyone or will it forever be so mysterious that its value is totally lost?

Hi Pete:
That's exactly the point I was trying to convey.  I can guess from this data, roughly where a change in overall point level transitions one to the next level for the top categories.
By the way, anyone whose ranking changes will receive a private message, so folks like Dennis who jumped two levels should have had two congratulatory messages.
Regards!
...JRF...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>but also Clay, Pete and Torsten, Cheryl G. and myself, from what I remember.

No, Cheryl was already Acclaimed, she was in the BSC forum for a year.

> I gained about 4,700 points too but no additional kudos which tells me the the kudos counts were set during the original migration.

(You mean posts, not points.  Yes, they must have looked at those threads.)

>my long standing question of what comprises any given rank has been answered.  If one examines the first fifteen (15) top-kudos leaderboard one can see that there is *no* relationship between the number of kudos and the overall number of posts

You mean no effect on rank?

>What appears to matter is simply the number of posts one makes.

Or possibly solutions?

>At what level are you looking at these kudo/post counts?  If you look the Community > OS > HP-UX level, I see virtually no difference.

The only important one, the top.  Since most of the closed threads were in HP-UX, that's where the changes in ranking/posts would occur.

>so folks like Dennis who jumped two levels should have had two congratulatory messages.

Yes.  But I looked at the leader board before I read the messages.  :-)

hge
Valued Contributor

Still missing : xml-elements in old posts.

Old ITRC-Forum  post contains for example:

<Category type="String">incident</Category>

same post in New ITRC-Forum just shows :

incident

Old posts where that happened don't make any sense anymore, useless.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Still missing : xml-elements in old posts.

Yes, after the update last week I send a PM to Kevin_Paul asking about your problem in:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Feedback-Suggestions/What-happened-to-xml-tags-that-existed-in-old-ITRC-messages/m-p/4817191#M1001

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Still waiting for a response on this myself - the code is there if you view the source of the page - so it *was* migrated.  But for some reason it's not displaying correctly...

I work for HPE.