5138 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Feedback on new site

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Kevin_Paul: Built in spell-check

No, I had a firefox builtin spell check as I typed, now I don't have my dictionary at all.

>A preview feature that doesn't lose your content if you want to back up and make changes

I had that too, mostly.

>Quote a previous reply

That's what cut&paste is for.

>Private messages between users

Yes, that's handy.

>Hein: Whereas with the ITRC forum I could stay logged in for months.

Exactly.

Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

19 years with HP, 3 years on a new account with a third party support company and now I don't want to support HP any more. This "revamp" sucks!  It is no longer a community, it's a corporate advertisment (and a bad one at that).

If I need FAQs and instructions then the design is fundamentaly flawed, sack the middle management drones who demanded it and the programmers who built it.

For paying HP customers, call your local support and sales reps and let them know the new "community" is a mess!

mark stephens
Occasional Advisor

Not happy Jan.

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> New hp.com security standards require an auto log-off @ 60 minutes of inactivity - but I will submit your feedback to the appropriate team as a concern.

Just when you thought it couldn't possibly get any worse....

'They' just made me change my password that I had for years!

WHY it is unique, and never compromised, and if it was not, then that would be MY problem, not HP's.

Just when you thought it couldn't possibly get any worse....

There are hard rules, and not just suggestions / hardness indicators, a

and 'they' tell me the rules on how to change the password AFTER my change.

Now I know that is 'the norm', but the norm sucks.

Race to the bottom!

At least they did not check for repeated answer on the security avoidance special questions list.

You see, the color of my hair is 'applepie', my dog is called 'applepie', my first grade teacher happened to be called 'applepie'  as was the my the place where I met my wife. Odd that, come to think of it.

Oops, now i told them, and they are going to 'fix' that also.

Hein

scalar

"Try to give it a chance and don't compare apple and oranges."

Dear "regular advisor", try to comprehend; all we *ever* wanted was apples. Now we are being told by HP that we should really learn to want oranges. Or lemons for that matter.

Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Dear "New Member",

probably you do not want apples as any other here,  the apple had more then enough worms. Now due to the migration the apple looks so marvelous ...

HP decided to change it and there is nothing that will bring the old forums back, or do you really belive 100 or 200 threads will make them change their world wide website (Keyword: Corporate Design ...)?

I'm pretty sure that the most here want a simple, fast, reliable solution to share knowledge and solve problems and from my point of view at least the guys here around are doing the best they can to archive this.

So in my opinion it's time for some learning the new features, patience and constructive criticism and not whining and bitchin without a meaningful statement. Enough of the people here have done migrations like that and should definitly know that there is always some fixing needed after it and that in this size you can not go flawless through it.

Keeping this in mind could help anyone.

My 2 Cent,

Stephan

TomSmith
Regular Advisor

Stephan,

Below is a list of my complaints/criticisms about the new site, that were never addressed by the way. You can call it "bitchin and whining" if you want, but it is my RIGHT to complain about a service that has been degraded this badly. If people don't like the new service they have every right to bitch and complain and I don't give a **bleep** if you or HP don't like it. And maybe your right HP may not change the site, but that does not mean I am going to stop complaining.

Here is a quick list of what I don't like about the new community.

1. Old ITRC profiles not migrated properly. Kevin had tried to locate mine but was not successful. For me personally this is not a huge deal, but for others who have considerable history on the ITRC it is distressing. This should have been a no-brainer. If there was some kind of choice to be made, then a user upon login should have been given a chance to respond.

2. I have many saved bookmarks that no longer work, and these are not through Google, they reference HP URL's. How this site could have been launched without this working is beyond me. This may be the single biggest mistake in my opinion.

3. Kudos system is a poor substitute for the point system. The point system allowed the original poster to rate all those who contributed, even if they did not solve the issue, they could receive points for trying. And it is my understanding that if you received 7 points or less, your points were ignored. This is outrageous.

4. Cluttered and unprofessional look and feel, this should not be Facebook!!! The original ITRC forum was a focused and professional environment uncluttered with, in my opinion, useless distractions.  I would really like to know who at HP thought we needed all of these foolish things. I came to the ITRC to exchange information, not fuss with distractions. (For example, when I first logged in to the new community, I was given a ridiculous avatar. I immediately went to my profile to remove it. Long story short, there was no way to just turn it off, I had to link it to a transparent image that I uploaded.  Total time wasted, 30 minutes!!!)

I have also found that criticism here is being ignored, replies are answered, but not really addressed. For example, in one post I stated I did not care for the new glizty features added, and the answer I get is just wait we have more glizty features you will love on the way.

I realize the old ITRC wasn't perfect, but I think it would have been wise to keep the overall look, feel and functionality and focus on fixing the particulars. Instead the baby went out with the bath water. And we are left with something that looks like Facebook.

Just my 2 cents,

-Tom

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Feedback on new site (good things)

>Below is a list of my complaints/criticisms about the new site,

Perhaps we should at least mention what we like about the new site?

1) It doesn't switch back and forth between the two servers.

2) PMs

3) Ability to edit (retcon) and delete your own posts.

4) tagging

5) The N forums are now merged together.  Except for HP Support Forum.

6) A single signon, until your snooze.

7) Moderators that can actually get the software changed.

8) Better builtin search.

Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Hi Tom,

you should not focus on 3 words of my posting, take a breath and read it again. I do not say everything here is perfect but my personal opinion is that it does not help to complain without any arguments. Of course you have the right to complain and there is enough to complain about.

1. My own profile is also screwed up - try finding my complain about ... you will not, keep in mind 712.000 users got migrated ... no absolution for screwing some but at least something to remind. 

2. Absolutely correct, they should have learned their lesson with docs.hp.com ... but does it bring your favorites back? Post them in the old format and I and probably other will be happy to help to update them.

3. Try to see the other side, if I now find a solution for my problem I can honor the solution giver with a kudo even if it is years ago. Impossible with the old system.

4. They made changes since day one and they are listening, at least if asked in a proper way but yes once more you are partly right with your arguments  but look also as example on the list Dennis provided - it's not all bad.

Check the other side of the medal and give it a chance.

Best,

Stephan