1751889 Members
5212 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Feedback on new site

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Feedback on new site (ranking)

>the *absolute* number of posts factors into the ranking (label) and that has the highest (or only) weight in the determination.

Unfortunately I had ~2,000 posts for moderator action that were all deleted due to clutter prevention.  So I looks like I'm hosed twice.  :-(

John O'Neill_6
Regular Advisor

>Kevin_Paul wrote:

>I appreciate that not everyone finds avatars and emoticons interesting/useful - but they're both a part of >this community platform, and I guess my best suggestion would be "if you don't want/need them, don't >use them".

Hey, here's an idea.. how about you LISTEN TO YOUR USERS for a change... You can keep all this new garbage, it's slow.. us 'techos' (Australian Slang) are perfectly happy with our courier font, no formatting, no nonesense and no bull**bleep** forum formats.

We're busy people, we've got a dozen things to do - often at once - and anything that slows things down, or gets in the way just drives people like us nuts.

Dump this useless, cartoony, useless forum and GIVE US BACK OUR ITRC forum!!

Remember, hubris will come back and kick you in the ass next time some of us are looking to refresh equipment, remember that's where you make your money.. you know.. the people who actually USE the equipment that HP engineers design?!

You sell equipment to technical people, it's US who use it, manage it and ultimately ADVOCATE for HP.

Don't give us this arrogant, condensending (take it or else) attitude, you may just find yourself on the recieving end of that same attitude when we start turning over gear.

ITRC added a LOT of value to HP, you've managed to trash that value.

Put that value back, restore the old ITRC.

-John

Peter Marko
Honored Contributor

Well ... HP needed social network - they launched "Community" project. But HEY! Not enough users signing in ... So a brilliant thinker came with the idea to get the thousands of (not so social) users from a technical forum and here we are ;)
Joseph P. Smith
Regular Advisor

Problem in seeing this thread  when logged in vs. not logged in:

When not logged in I see messages  51 -72 in this thread .

When logged in I only see up to message 51, and cannot add kudos & reply msgs 52 -72.

I now add another failed metaphor to the collapse of HP's failing on-line support:

Of course this is like cleaning the silver serving platters on the Titanic while the lifeboats are being loaded.

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Joseph,

Perhaps the different behaviour you're seeing has something to do with your profile settings not being in effect when you're not logged in.  Things like the number of posts per page, because it is a setting in your profile, can only exist when you're logged in.

But you should be able to apply kudos.  Kevin?

Pete
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@Joseph P. Smith wrote:

Problem in seeing this thread  when logged in vs. not logged in:

When not logged in I see messages  51 -72 in this thread .

When logged in I only see up to message 51, and cannot add kudos & reply msgs 52 -72.

Joseph - this is the first I've heard of this type of issue - when you say that you "only see up to message 51", are you able to see the "< Previous 1  2  Next >" heading at the top of the thread to navigate between pages?

As Pete has already said, if you have a setting in your profile for how many posts per page to display that's different from the default, you'll see a difference between when you're logged in or not (as when you're not logged in, the site-wide defaults take over) - but that shouldn't keep you from being able to access the posts.

If you can provide one, perhaps a screen shot would help demonstrate the behavior you're seeing...

I work for HPE.
Joseph P. Smith
Regular Advisor

Symptoms/problem no longer appear.   Magic!

Thanks for orgiginal  suggestions.

Joe S.

g3jza
Esteemed Contributor

Well, JRF's question is still unanswered:

"It would still be very nice to have an official mapping of ranks to some "point" level(s). "

Is that so hard to publish this mapping???!

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@g3jza wrote:
Well, JRF's question is still unanswered:

"It would still be very nice to have an official mapping of ranks to some "point" level(s). "

Is that so hard to publish this mapping???!

There isn't a one-to-one mapping between ITRC point levels and the ranks within this community.

For some background, make sure you've read

The ranks, and different ladders, she discusses can be based on variety of factors, including (but not limited to):

• How long ago you registered
  • How many posts you've made
  • How many kudos you've received
  • How many tags you've applied
  • How many accepted solutions you've authored

Where as in the ITRC forums, your point level ONLY depended on how many points you had been awarded.

Since there are different ladders, depending on how you contribute to the community, it's not a simple matter of saying "this previous ITRC "hat" is equivalent to this new rank".

I work for HPE.
TomSmith
Regular Advisor

From the document,

"Ranks are used to indicate the number, quality, and impact of your posts"

Who determines the "quality" and "impact" of posts, and what scale is applied?

-Tom