1748171 Members
4282 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Feedback on new site

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>it's not a simple matter of saying "this previous ITRC "hat" is equivalent to this new rank".

We no longer care about ITRC hats, we know we were hosed.

We would like more details, the source code and or flowchart that can be applied to a given profile to produce the given rank.

Unless it requires analysis of each topic/post, rather than raw aggregate numbers?

Or just tell us:  Ranks are to impress newbies.  Otherwise it's the stinkin' kudos

>Who determines the "quality" and "impact" of posts, and what scale is applied?

I assume software, given certain rules.  :-)

Basically, kudos and solves?  (I'd hate to think it is number of views.)

BGroot
Esteemed Contributor

>Who determines the "quality" and "impact" of posts, and what scale is applied?

Members determine that based on the kudos's they give to a answer to their question. Please correct me if I was wrong but in ITRC the only the person who could give points was the person that submitted the question. So in fact that person determine the quality of the answer he/she was getting. In the community the owner of the post but also others could determine if that answer was a good one and could give the post a kudos. I am not saying it is a better way, but it gives others a chance to also appreciate the post with a kudo.

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

>  Members determine that based on the kudos's they give to a answer

So we've basically managed to turn this into a popularity contest?  Wonderful.  :smileymad:

But I like Bill so I'll give his lousy answer a kudo!!

Pete
Peter Marko
Honored Contributor

@Pete Randall wrote:

>  Members determine that based on the kudos's they give to a answer

So we've basically managed to turn this into a popularity contest?  Wonderful.  :smileymad:

But I like Bill so I'll give his lousy answer a kudo!!

HP Idol :smileyvery-happy:

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Members determine that based on the kudos's they give to a answer to their question.

You are making this too simple.

We want to know the rank formula:

Rank_value = C1 * kudos + C2 * posts + C3 * tags + C4 * whatever

Then various ranges.

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Screw it - I like almost everybody.  Unless they didn't do a satisfactory job of answering my question, kudos for all!!!!

Pete
Peter Marko
Honored Contributor

Be careful with the kudos - I'm sensing a negative kudos applet comming ;)
BGroot
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the kudo. I am not saying it is a better way, I am just explaining how it works. It's not a popularity contest, but you need to give members a chance to determine if they feel something is valuable. In some cases in ITRC high points were given where others believe it shouldn't be given, but that is up to the member to determine that.

I have seen a lot of messages around the kudos, but that is how the system works. I can't change that, but the message around the kudos is clear and all we can do now is noted it down and see down the road what we can do to improve this.

Greetings,

Bill

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@Kevin_Paul wrote:

The ranks, and different ladders, she discusses can be based on variety of factors, including (but not limited to):

• How long ago you registered
  • How many posts you've made
  • How many kudos you've received
  • How many tags you've applied
  • How many accepted solutions you've authored

Where as in the ITRC forums, your point level ONLY depended on how many points you had been awarded.

Since there are different ladders, depending on how you contribute to the community, it's not a simple matter of saying "this previous ITRC "hat" is equivalent to this new rank".

Kevin:

I know that you are just the messenger, but you are who we have.  Hence, once again, what *formula*, or *algorithm* if you prefer, is actually used to put a label next to a name?   Why is this so secret?

I don't think any of us ever expected to have an old versus new rank mapping.  That's not what I'm asking and to believe that is an over simplification of the question.  You have offered some of the criteria that go into composing the new rankings, now just give us the formula, or weights of each criterion, or something concrete!  Oh, and since you hinted that your criteria list isn't exhaustive, please add the missing pieces to it too.

...JRF...

BGroot
Esteemed Contributor

Hi all,

Kevin is not available until next week, but I will discuss this with him when he is available to see what we can do about this issue.

Greetings,

Bill