5648 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Feedback on new site

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>now we'll never know.

I can look at my profile and see who gave me kudos and for what topic.  Not sure if I can see who revoked them.

I was also fiddling with Solved and Unsolved and now I'm a bad guy with:  ;-)

Total Solutions Unmarked Accepted 1

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/solutions#solutions

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@Joseph P. Smith wrote:

Mystery solved!   Rankings indicate to some degree the trustworthiness of the answer; for me it's quick indication when scrolling through answers, "Oh, this is place to stop and read."  They have a real effect on us who need answers.  After a while we'll know who has a bloated rank, and who has the goods, but until then there has to be some faith, or at least understanding, in how they are determined.

For me the rankings are so numerous and so indistinct that they almost have no meaning.  Do the rankings have sufficient validity and reliability?  Do they reflect real-world validation in the application of the proposed solution?  I was stunned by my own rank as "frequent advisor".  REALLY?  "How frequently" and "how well-advised" are my questions.  (If by submitting this reply, my ranking is elevated, I reject it ... see Groucho Marx).

As an interesting exercise, if a group of persons were asked to sort a random list ing of the ranks into their understanding of how the ranks are listed in real life, and then compare those results to the actual hierarchy, how well would those lists correlate?

Rankings are a facet of this new site, and the fairness and transparency of how they're determined is not trivial.  If this is a "community", then all of us should have an understanding and perhaps a voice in rankings (supposedly we do by issuing "kudos", but that's only a part of the formula, if one exists).  Cynically, perhaps I err in going with the community idea, and should remember that it's really about marketing.

Joseph, thank you for expressing the "why" we (I) care.

Regards!

...JRF...

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Here's another feature that's missing.  We used to be able to go to our profile and see all the threads we had authored - now we can't.  I wanted to review something this morning and was surprised to find that I can look at every inane post I've ever made but not the questions I've authored.  WTH?

Pete
Peter Marko
Honored Contributor

You have to remember what you asked ;)
But instead of that you can see the number of page views or posts you read ...
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Who will find the next point?

*I* :-)

Today 'Recent Kudos to' and 'Recent Kudos from' are identical :-D
How can this be??????

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

.. except Peter Marko for example or Dennis - he has not given enough kudos till now. (shame on you) ;-)
Anybody who has given and received kudos to 5 different people has two identical lists.

*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Peter Marko
Honored Contributor

I'm saving mine - Pete will shortly have to buy some kudos credit

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>But if we were to simply "go back" to the old ITRC forums platform, you would lose not only avatars and emoticons, but:

You might want to recon this statement to remove "emoticons" above, which were removed due to many feedback complaints.

And you neglected to mention one important improvement, the fact that you can middle click on links in posts!

(I only just realized that.)

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>>A preview feature that doesn't lose your content if you want to back up and make changes

You shouldn't be bragging about it, it's not completely fixed.

When editing a post I did a Back and it didn't prevent me from leaving.

I used preview and was going back to "Rich Text" and I hit Back and lost everything.

Anyway, my Textarea Cache add-on saved me! 

AnthonySN
Respected Contributor

why are the font size so small, it makes reading thru the posts more difficult.

im sorry if someone has already pointed this out in the earlier threads.