1751735 Members
5377 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Forum availability and performance topic

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Forum availability and performance topic

I've been getting terrible forum performance for the last 45 minutes.

I get the infamous: Your request is currently being processed...

And connection reset browser messages.

And I lost a reply.

22 REPLIES 22
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Dennis:

I've had similar problems during the last few weeks.  Intermittant, yes; and thankfully short-lived.  However, I thought that problems like this wouldn't be an issue.  After all, this was a disease long suffered by the good old, defunct ITRC Forums which *had* to be "improved".  So much for the new HPSC.

Regards!

...JRF...

TomSmith
Regular Advisor

And just think of all of the spam we were missing with the "old" forum.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Intermittent, yes; and thankfully short-lived.

Right.  Most of my performance issues were due to firefox browser issues taking 1 to 2 Gb of VM and then slowing to a crawl until I restarted it.  This may be due to the fancy-smancy new forum pages, not because I went to 5.0?

>So much for the new HPSC.

There is no connection between the new HPSC and Enterprise Business Community | HP Online Forum.

I assume different servers, software and support people.  (And excuses.  ;-)

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>just think of all of the spam we were missing with the "old" forum.

Intentional spam or the new fancy avatars/emoticons, wasted white space, etc?

I had to rigorously hunt down spam on the ITRC.  In the new forum it is easy for anyone to do.

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

We did have an issue this morning with site performance due to indexing the community content for hp.com.  We're working to make sure that this type of work is done in off-hours in the future, so hopefully that will put a quick end to the performance issues.  But please let me know if you see it again, and exactly what time of the day it was occurring.

I work for HPE.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

In case you never go to the main EBC forum page: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/

Important Notice

Due to updates and scheduled maintenance, the Enterprise Business Community will be available for reading only from Thursday, July 28, 2011, 11:00 pm GMT  /  5:00 pm EDT /  2:00 pm PDT until after Noon (most North American time zones) on Friday, July 29, 2011.

During this time, members will not be able to reply or comment on posts, or begin new ones. At the conclusion of these scheduled maintenance periods, you will be able to post normally.

Unfortunately it doesn't help that the starting time for UTC doesn't match the times in EDT and PDT.  :-(

1400 PDT == 1700 EDT == 2100 UTC == 9 pm UTC

Any reason why the ending time isn't specific?

Why not say the service man will be there in the three hour window from 1200 EDT to 1200 PDT?  :-)

Or spell it: afternoon sometime, whenever ...

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Dennis - thanks for that!

Any reason why it will happen mostly at this Friday - Sysadmin Day(!) ?

*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

We'll get that time issue updated this morning - thanks for noticing and pointing out the inconsistency.

I work for HPE.
Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

Thank you for catching our GMT error. The times were copied from a spreadsheet that obviously needs to be retired -- immediately.

The ending time is expressed as "after Noon" because the time to completion for the maintenance being performed can be partially dependent on internet traffic and performance.

Thanks,
Warren_Admin