4152 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Forum feedback

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin,

>What browser are you seeing this behavior in?
IE 8.0.6001
>And it only happens when you're not logged in, is that correct?
No, this was an idea I had, but it doesn't happen so clearly.
When I logout the columns are still ok.
I still can`t reproduce it. I only can take a screenshot when it happens.
I saw it several times now since I use the forum, but I had no clue till now, when or why it happens.
I will try to find the cause.

A nice weekend to all
Vo.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@V. Nyga wrote:
Hi Kevin,

>What browser are you seeing this behavior in?
IE 8.0.6001
>And it only happens when you're not logged in, is that correct?
No, this was an idea I had, but it doesn't happen so clearly.
When I logout the columns are still ok.
I still can`t reproduce it. I only can take a screenshot when it happens.
I saw it several times now since I use the forum, but I had no clue till now, when or why it happens.
I will try to find the cause.

A nice weekend to all
Vo.

Thanks Vo - I'll hold off on submitting a ticket for this one until we have a better idea of how to reproduce. 

I can't recall ever having seen this myself, but if anyone else encounters this please provide as many details as you can so we can chase it down.

I work for HPE.
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin,

I got it again.

I started the site, but I was not logged in. After login it just happened.

After re-read/reload it disappears.

So it seems to happen when a forum page is loaded without login, then login.

Eventually it only the first time a page is loaded (my IE cache is deleted when closing IE) and I`m not logged in.

HTH

Vo.

*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Thanks Vo - I will submit the issue with that additional detail - that should help track it down.

I work for HPE.
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Vo - a few follow-on questions to allow for duplicating/troubleshooting your issue:

Do you see this on every page with boards and post count, or only specific pages/boards?
Does clearing cookies & cache do anything?
Are you using compatibility view? (Tools > Compatibility View)

I work for HPE.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

This seems as good a place as any to leave Feedback - hope you don't mind, Vo!

I don't see any way to recognize whether a post is from the author of the thread or not.  If threads are to remain on topic, focused and valuable for historical reference (if we can ever search them, that is), it is helpful to be able to recognize that the discussion is between the author and the people trying to help him.  With no way of identifying the author, the thread becomes unfocused and wanders off into various unrelated issues - kind of like I'm doing now.

Pete
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@Pete Randall wrote:

I don't see any way to recognize whether a post is from the author of the thread or not. 

Pete - I'm not sure I follow - was there something on the ITRC forums that did this that isn't available here?

I work for HPE.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

If my faulty memory serves, the old Forum designated all subsequent posts by the author of the thread with the word "author".  Right by their name, maybe.  There's no indication now and there used to be.  Wish I had a screen shot for you.

Pete
Peter Marko
Honored Contributor

It was where the assigned points were displayed - it was showing "Question Author" instead of points
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Thanks, Peter!

In any case, I quite often find myself scanning through posts and completely losing track of what started the whole thing - particularly since we now have the ability to jump directly to unread replies.

Pete