108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Knowledge Base posts

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Knowledge Base posts

Something weird is going on with these ...

I can see on the frontpage for example the tiny book for Community Feedback & Suggestions which leads to http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Feedback-Suggestions/tkb-p/community-feedback-suggestions%40tkb

It contains EVA 6000 Connectivity to Brocade and MDS switches which contains as related links 

New Forum Locations by ITRC Tree  

If I check that thread it has at the top as well the EVA thread.

but I don't get the sense out of it ... perhaps someone can shed light on my foggy brain?

And just as add on, on many forums the book link is there even if the kb is empty f.e. in the HP-UX area General Knowledge Base has it Messaging not?

Best,

Stephan

8 REPLIES 8
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>perhaps someone can shed light on my foggy brain?

Does this explain it?

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/How-to-create-a-new-knowledge-base-article/m-p/4830811/message-uid/4830811#U4830811

It appears to pull up some search KB specific window.  And since there isn't any, you don't get much?

Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Hi Dennis,

no, that link explains how it should work and how it would make sense, at least for me.

But how could be an EVA / MDS Thread a knowledge article for the Community Feedback board and why is it related to the thread "Old ITRC Tree"?

According your link the tiny book should show the overview of articles already created.

If it is OK that the book/link is visible even if that section is empty, my question would be why has the Messages board no link?

If it should not show the book/link as long as no article is created, why show the General Board the link?

Best,

Stephan

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

... and why should a question without any answer be at the knowledge base?
Dennis - your link is new to me - and from my opinion it's useless to let any user create such things.
From Kevin's explanations:
>Most users within the community will have the ability to create a new knowledge base article –
>brand-new users won’t until they’ve advanced beyond the initial new user ranks

This user rianui2 has only one message posted and it's a knowledge base?

I don't think that this works the right way ...
Neither I think that we really need it this way ...

Why can`t it be made with a nomination to a moderator?
Too much work for them?

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>But how could be an EVA / MDS Thread a knowledge article for the Community Feedback board and why is it related to the thread "Old ITRC Tree"?

Did you look at it?  It appears that someone mistakenly added an EVA question to a KB area?

There is no "knowledge" in that article.

The forum is working fine, a human messed up.  :-)

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro
Solution

A few things have happened here:

1) Someone mistakenly started a knowledge base article rather than posting a question (looking into how we can make the difference more clear)

2) They created the article in the wrong location (feedback rather than the EVA category)

3) Draft knowledge base content shouldn't be visible until it's been published - which would have kept the above two errors from turning into a visible knowledge base article (this is being investigated)

4) We're adjusting who can create knowledge base articles, to further reduce the chance of newer users creating an article to ask a question rather than posting a message in the associated forum.

I work for HPE.
Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Ok that makes it clear.

Just to be really uptodate, if there is no content - should the book/link be visible or should it only be visible if there is anything?

Thanks,

Stephan

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Stephan - I didn't expect that it would display the icon until there was at least one article for that board - but that doesn't appear to be the case.  We're looking into why it's behaving that way.

I work for HPE.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>1) Someone mistakenly started a knowledge base article rather than posting a question

While that was fixed, I see comments added to KB and blog entries asking questions.