1752449 Members
6228 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Links from Google

JHauff
Occasional Contributor

Links from Google

Look guys... enough with the generic page thats displayed when I click on a link after doing a google search.  I dont have time to dilly dally around just because you all think you need a fresh look on your web site.

When I need something, I do a google search, and it generally gets me what I am looking for pretty quickly.  Then I click on the link and it should take me right to the forum message that I want.  Not some instructions page that forces me to do another search that generally fails anyhow.

So get it right already.  As a customer who pays for support from HP... I expect a more professional approach to providing the support I need.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Welcome to the community, not the support.

If you want use google instead of the integrated search add a simple "site:http://h30499.www3.hp.com" to your search and you find what you are looking for.

hth,

Stephan

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@Stephan. wrote:

If you want use google instead of the integrated search add a simple "site:http://h30499.www3.hp.com" to your search and you find what you are looking for.

@ Stephan: And not to slay-the-messenger, but why such obtuse URLs?  We used to have (the intuitive) 'site:itrc.hp.com'.  Another grand obfuscation by HP.   Wait, maybe its a plan to try and force the use of the internal search because casual visitors will fail to note/remember the new site URL. ;-)

Regards!

...JRF...

Stephan.
Honored Contributor

I don't feel shot and I have no glue why not something useful and easy to remember as URL is used.

Due to the fact they splitted the forums and a lot of functionality into this community and the HP Support Center I'm not sure if itrc.hp.com should point here. It is a question which parts got more used f.e. Patches are now available at the HPSC which is reachable using itrc.hp.com.

But I totally agree it should be something like community.hp.com or forums.hp.com or even hp.com/go/ebc  (Ok this already point to the HP Executive Briefing Center) ...

Cheers,

Stephan

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>We used to have (the intuitive) 'site:itrc.hp.com'.

Or even more intuitive: site:hp.com   :-)

>Ok this already point to the HP Executive Briefing Center.

Yes, I was going to say that but I found that other web page.  I suppose when Apple demolishes the EBC in Cupertino, we could repurpose that go link.  :-)

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@Dennis Handly wrote:

>We used to have (the intuitive) 'site:itrc.hp.com'.

Or even more intuitive: site:hp.com   :-)

Hey, I'm not asking for much; I'd be happy with 'site:hpsc.hp.com' .

...JRF...

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Gee, haven't you guys ever heard of cut & paste?  With Firefox, there's a search box right on the "toolbar".  I keep it aimed at Google, though you can select your own favorite.  It's a simple matter to type in your search terms followed by "+site:" then cut & paste from the url right next to the search box.

Pete