Feedback
1748019 Members
4704 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Mouse over Community Knowledge Base presents too many options...

hbhilton11
Occasional Advisor

Mouse over Community Knowledge Base presents too many options...

My Browser is IE 8.  When I mouse over the "Community Knowldege Base" link in the top, center of the forum, the options presented are too large to display.  There is no scroll option, so I am entirely unable to view all the options. 

Even when I reduce my browser to display at 75 and 50%, the list is too large.   Had success displaying the entire window when at 20%, but alas... can't read 'em!  LOL!

In addition, there are quite a few duplicate links - annotated in the screenshots.

To save room, you may consider dropping the text "Knowledge Base" from every link (that can be presumed, right?) and creating grouping/categories that can be expanded.  Just a thought....

3 REPLIES 3
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Mouse over Community Knowledge Base presents too many options...

I've already reported this on the previous EBC forum version.  But it has gotten worse since it shows up with a mouse-over, vs a click.  :-(

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Feedback-Suggestions/New-forum-features-and-main-page/m-p/5678243

And I've already complained about the mouse-overs disrupting things:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Announcements/New-design-coming-to-the-HP-Enterprise-Business-Community/m-p/5791735#U5794879

>There is no scroll option, so I am entirely unable to view all the options.

I have no trouble scrolling my whole window to see all of the KB articles in firefox, not that I want too.  :-(

>In addition, there are quite a few duplicate links

Unfortunately these aren't duplicates and most are empty.  :-(

(The empties have since been removed.)

Joseph P. Smith
Regular Advisor

Apologies in advance if this too obvious.  As a suggestion to maneuver down the excessive length of the listing

1. When you mouse over and the list drops down, Single click on a link inside the listing.

2. Then use cursor arrows, PageUP, PageDown, and/or scroll wheel to get down, up and around.

I use IE8.  As this site has significantly different results depending on the browser, verify your results using your favorite browser.

Comment: Although pleasantly surprised about finally having quick access to the abundance of choices, the element of SURPRISE was disconcerting. Some application of ergonomics or human cognition applied  to the implementation of this software would go a long way.  Thanks

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Apologies in advance if this too obvious.  ...  I use IE8.

You should state you use IE first.  This obviously doesn't work in firefox or chrome.  When you click on a link, it follows the link.  It seems it works the same with IE8 too?

Also, I can't duplicate the original problem with IE, I can scroll (wheel) through the whole menu.

>the element of SURPRISE was disconcerting. Some application of ergonomics or human cognition applied  to the implementation of this software would go a long way.

Exactly.  While I appreciate not having to click on the Discussion Boards pull down menu, the other 4 are just a pain in the neck.  (I can understand how treating all 4 the same might seem appropriate.)