5440 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New Sub-section Under Networking > Network Management > "Scripting"

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

New Sub-section Under Networking > Network Management > "Scripting"

Howdy Admin Folks,

Given that there are increasing numbers of Comware v7 products hitting the market which have embedded Python and TCL interfaces / environments, would it be possible to create a "Scripting" sub-section under Networking > Network Management.

This would give us somewhere under the Networking Community banner to ask for help when we get stuck and maybe post useful python / TCL / Netconf (XML) code fragments for people to re-use in their own cross-platform comware v7 environments?

All help and feedback gratefully received.

Many thanks

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
3 REPLIES 3
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Hi Dennis,

it is definitely good to be seeing parallels with SDN but my take on all of this (and I'm happy to be shot down :-) ) is that SDN is all about making apps talk directly to the traffic forwarding part of the device (i.e. data plane) .

The other side of the coin is that we have a number of ways of engaging wth the management plane through traditional CLI, SNMP and now the TCL / Python / Netconf  "interface" is just an extension to what we've always done in the past if you like.

I think the SDN and the scripted management go hand in hand but I'd specifically like to see something under Net management where we can drive some collaboration (like you see in the scripting folder under the HP-UX section) and get more out of the product.

many thanks

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Lynn-Marie
Valued Contributor

Hi Ian,

I think this is a great idea! There has been more and more talk and sharing of scripting in the non-forum world, and I think it would be good to share in this environment. I want to run it past a few others, and will see what I can do. Don't expect to see anything before the week of the 24th, ok?

Thanks for the suggestion,

Lynn-Marie

Accept or Kudo