Feedback
1748265 Members
3761 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

No longer seems possible to see all (new) topics for a (top-level) Discussion Board

Chris H
Honored Contributor

No longer seems possible to see all (new) topics for a (top-level) Discussion Board

Change of format (implemented today?) means that it no longer seems possible to see all (new) topics for a (top-level) Discussion Board.

For example, the "Community Home > Printing and Digital Imaging: Enterprise" board ( http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-and-Digital-Imaging/ct-p/itrc-218 ) contains four subsidiary boards.

I used to be able to see all topics in the upper-level board, rather than having to visit each subsidiary board in turn.

The 'Latest Topics' tab shows a few of the latest topics in the (upper-level) board, and there is a 'See All' link - but this provides an index for topics in ALL discussion boards in the forums (i.e."Community Home > All Topics") which is rather unexpected (and totally useless in this context). 

25 REPLIES 25
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Re: No longer seems possible to see all (new) topics for a (top-level) Discussion Board

Chris - thanks for bringing this to our attention. That is not how the "See All" link should be functioning - we'll get that looked into.
I work for HPE.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: No longer seems possible to see all (new) topics for a (top-level) Discussion Board

>>> That is not how the "See All" link should be functioning

I should hope it wasn't designed to be useless. 

Oh wait, it's all about a clean corporate look.   Yeah sure that's important.... NOT.

So now the end users have to find such a glaring fault in the first minutes of usage?!

Did the the implementors wver heard about any of: Quality Assurance, Testing, Least-Surprises, KISS ?

How DARE they release clearly untested mess.

Suggestion: Eat your own dogfood for a while before 'unleashing' it on the world.

So sad.

Hein

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

This made the forum unusable for me.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I usually use my bookmarks like this

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/category-id/itrc-117/post-type/message

or

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/category-id/itrc-117/post-type/thread

At the top of the page the tree is still visible:

but the "See all" at the bottom of the page http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-UX/ct-p/itrc-117 shows something totally different!

Where is the "All topics" link gone???

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Chris H
Honored Contributor

>> ... That is not how the "See All" link should be functioning - we'll get that looked into ...

I hope that it gets fixed soon.

It's even worse with some other boards (e.g. Community Home > Printing and Digital Imaging: Enterprise), for which the subsidiary boards them-selves have lower-level boards - and it seems that you have to visit each of the bottom-level boards in turn in order to see current posts.

So I might have to visit 20 or more different boards in order to see a list of current topics posted under one top-level board, which, previously, I could see by visiting one place.

As it is at present, it is just not practical doing what I used to do (trying to help others).

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Over in the OpenVMS family, Hartmut becker seems to have found a useable workaround.

hartmut writes..

For what it is worth, if you have a bookmark for "All Posts", aka recent posts, it should still work.
In other words, the page and the information is available, at least until the next "improvement".
But in the new format I couldn't find a way to navigate to it.
If you don't have a bookmark, try
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/category-id/itrc-288/post-type/message/page/1

itrc-288 is the VMS forum. A modified link works for other forums as well.

---------------------

I will create a few brower bookmarks as family starting places and will not have to see too much decoration junk no more.   Please add your kudo's to:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/General/Issues-with-this-forum-cont/m-p/5381711#M28093

Cheers,

Hein.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] That is not how the "See All" link should be functioning - we'll
> get that looked into.

Am I completely lost, or is this still the only forum system of its
type where it's apparently impossible to get a simple "All Topics" list
ordered by date-time of the most recent posting in each topic?

AND YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME WORKING ON ANY OTHER PROBLEM?

AND YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME PLAYING WITH THE APPEARANCE?  (And
managing to damage even that?)

Is there some explanation for this apparent irrationality?

Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

We are still in the process of rolling out new functionalities and turning on modules in the redesign. Even with all of the testing that has taken place offline, there are a few modules that are acting differently on live forums than they did before. We don't put your conversations at risk by using the live forums for testing.

We will be bringing the "See All" functionality completely online very soon, along with some other modules in the forum pages. Thank you for your patience, and bringing your concerns to our attention.

Warren_Admin, HP Enterprise Community Manager
Opinions are my own and not intended to represent HP

Thanks,
Warren_Admin

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> We are still in the process of rolling out new functionalities and
> turning on modules in the redesign. Even with all of the testing that
> has taken place offline, there are a few modules that are acting
> differently on live forums than they did before. We don't put your
> conversations at risk by using the live forums for testing.

Apparently I live in some parallel universe, where "new
functionalities" are sprung on the victims without any warning, and
without any choice.  In some places, the victims get an opportunity to
preview a disaster before it becomes the (only) new standard (with no
way to revert to the previous still-lame-but-less-lame scheme).

If this mess is the result of extensive offline testing, then that
should tell you something about the quality/usefulness of that testing.
But I suppose that this is the same kind of testing which preceded the
original adoption of a shiny new forum system which is worse in almost
every way than the one it replaced.  

> [...] Thank you for your patience, [...]

You're joking, right?  (I assume so, but in this context it's often
hard to tell.)