1748078 Members
5262 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Please rename ProCurve/ProVision-based forum

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Please rename ProCurve/ProVision-based forum

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask for this, but could we please have the forum names for switching clarified?  At the moment in switching we have "Comware-based", "ProCurve/ProVision-based", and "Web and unmanaged".  Because 18xx series switches have "ProCurve" in the name, people tend to ask questions about them in the ProCurve forum rather than in the correct "Web and unmanaged" forum.

My suggestions are renaming to:

- Comware-based

- ProCurve fully-managed

- ProCurve web & unmanaged

That way people need to think about which ProCurve they use before posting.

Regards,
Paul
4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Hmm, these were recently renamed, nobody had this discussion way back then?

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure what discussion was had back then, or whether this was an issue at the time, but it's definitely an issue now. I think i've responded to three 1800 series questions in the ProCurve forum this week.
Regards,
Paul
Lynn-Marie
Valued Contributor

Hi Paul,

There were many discussions about the naming of the boards prior to the changes we made. The real challenge with your suggestion is that there are switches formerly known as both 3Com and ProCurve in the web- and unmanaged category, so we were trying not to limit it to one or the other. I am willing to see if there are any significant objections to amending the category to include both legacy brand names - stay tuned. Any other votes for  the web- and unmanaged category name? It should include 3Com, ProCurve and HPN branded gear...

Thank you for your suggestions!
Lynn-Marie

Global Support Engineer

Accept or Kudo

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

That's a tough one, isn't it?  I don't have any brilliant suggestions.  I would just like to see the web & unmanaged stuff ending up in the right place instead of in the managed ProCurve forum.  (We don't seem to have this problem in the Comware-based forum.  If only HP had named their managed ProCurve operating system!)

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to include a longer description at the top of http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProCurve-ProVision-Based/bd-p/switching-e-series-forum which specifically states that "Messages about web & unmanaged switches such as ProCurve 1810 or 1410 should be posted in http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Web-and-Unmanaged/bd-p/switching-v-series-forum" (or something along those lines).

Regards,
Paul