1748151 Members
3716 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Subject too narrow.

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Subject too narrow.

For the 'joke of the day' please check out the attached screen-shot.

Check out the width of the Subject column.

What were they thinking? (Were they thinking?)

Can we all agree that the 'subject' column is the single most important column? (vote with your kudo's! :-)

Well, that column is just 80 pixels wide, on par with 'replies' and 'new'. Pathetic!

It causes the subjects to spread over up to 6 lines and become an unreadable mess

it forces excessive whitespace.

Please re-organize.

Please move the 'ribbon' to be under the Author name, instead of before.

Regards,

Hein van den Heuvel

8 REPLIES 8
Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Completly agree, even more give us please the possibility to deactivate and/or choose the 'ribbon' we have access to.

Thanks,

Stephan

Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are looking into ways to make the layout work better, maintaining a balance between the number of fields with information important to different users, and the total available width of the web page itself.

Thanks,
Warren_Admin, HP Enterprise Community Managing Administrator
Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not represent HP

Thanks,
Warren_Admin

jwc1972
Advisor

Silly Question

Hello

I have not used the Hp support forums in a while, how do you post a New message?

Regards

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Silly Question

>I have not used the Hp support forums in a while, how do you post a New message?

Look at the FAQ:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/posting#posting

You need to be on a board then the New Message button appears.

TomSmith
Regular Advisor

Any movement on this? It is absurd to have the subject be half the length of the poster.

Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

Here is an update on the layout for many of the Community pages:

1) Approximately two weeks ago, a request was made to add a column of information that would show each person who posts to these forums how many times his or her post was viewed. For the short term, of course, this actually made the problem of the Subject or Title (depending on the page) having to fit into a small horizontal space somewhat worse.

2) Last night, we made two changes that should mitigate this somewhat. First of all, we increased the width of the window in which the Community displays wider by approximately the width of one column (to allow for the addition of the "Views" column).

3) Finally, we cut down the space between columns. While it is necessary to have some white space so that the text in adjacent columns does not over-write the next ones, we felt it was a good trade-off for you, our members, to allow more room for the Subject or Title column. We are evaluating the effect this has on all of our pages. Further modifications may be made if they are feasible and effective.

We will continue to make updates and optimizations based on your constructive feedback whenever possible.

Thanks,
Warren_Admin, HP Enterprise Community Managing Administrator
Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not represent HP

Thanks,
Warren_Admin

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>2)First of all, we increased the width of the window in which the Community displays wide

And for me, this is now worse than the narrow columns.  :-(

(I thought this was part of the firefox overlap fix.)

I have my window narrower and have a bottom scroll bar in firefox.  I used to just barely see the needed buttons and drop downs on the right.

Now when I use board options, the menu goes off to the right and doesn't stay on the visible screen.

And a similar gripe, the envelope for new PMs is off my screen.  What would it take to move the whole

Name > Sign Out | Profile | Help [PM] line to the left?

And the same with the New message and Board Options?

(At least the envelope RHS lines up with the rightmost text in the forum, rather than flush to the right.)

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

For me. using Chrome and a fairly wide window,  it looked a lot better. Almost good enough!

Then I logged in plus did the mandatory refresh to resolve the nowadays common:

"The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Bad Gateway"

I marked Warren's reply as 'solved', went back and... bummer. 

Once logged in all the space gained was eaten up by the 'new' column, bringing us almost back to where we started.

The first few locked topic still take 4 or 5 lines + 1 for the jump table.

They just don't get it. What is is the single most important column? 

- Make it [replies/new] .. if you have to, or do the gray/bold.

(f bold, there is something new, and it is hot linked to take you right there.)

- Kill or move the ribbon!

- Make [Vsolved] just be [V]

- The one marker I would appreciate is not there. I'd liek to see whether a 'kudo' was assigned, not how many, just whether there was a kudo which ought to suggest there could be an interesting replies in there.

(Oh yeah... make such maker a hotlink me to the first kudo'd reply?)

not solved.

Thanks for playing though!

Regards,

Hein