1748080 Members
5036 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Subscription Emails vs New Replies count

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Subscription Emails vs New Replies count

My profile subscribes me to topics I participate in.  In other words, if I reply to a thread, I get an email when there is another reply to the same thread.  If I then click on the link within the email to view this new reply, the new reply count on the category screen is not reduced, even if I refresh the page.  This means that when I review the category page, I end up revisiting the same thread to look at the same reply that I've already looked at.  A minor quibble, perhaps, but it's downright annoying.

Pete
10 REPLIES 10
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Re: Subscription Emails vs New Replies count

Hi Pete,

maybe only if you're auto-logged-out before?
(So I've seen it at my side)

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Could be, Vo - I'll have to check that, but if so, that just turns the complaint back to the annoying auto-logout "feature".

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

No, that's not it.  I just got an email, clicked on the given link, read the new reply, closed that new tab and went back to my HP-UX category tab.  I hit refresh but the new reply count remained at 1.

Pete
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Ive seen this as well.  I think this may be due to a new browser tab being opened.  On that new browser tab I wonder if we are still actually logged in (I am never prompted for a login when I click on the link in the email)?  If not, then that would be the reason for the new post not to be marked as read.  Ill have to check on the next new message.

I have also seen the persistent new message feature present on the "main screen" showing the floating message boards.  I can only clear the new message flag by going to the message board options and selecting "mark all as read".  That is a bit annoying, but doesnt seem to be persistent across all of the different boards.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I have also seen the persistent new message feature present on the "main screen" showing the floating message boards.

Yes I've seen this too.  And for the Feedback board, I've looked at all the pages trying to find the unread messages.

But no connection to subscriptions because I just delete that mail.

>I can only clear the new message flag by going to the message board options and selecting "mark all as read".

Right.  And I hope that when you do the "mark" it marks all based on the time you displayed the board, not N seconds later when possibly M more posts arrived.

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Now that's a (good) example.  I distinctly remember reading Dennis' comments, yet this morning the topic listing showed one new reply on this thread, so I clicked on it, only to re-read the same comment.

Pete
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>the topic listing showed one new reply on this thread, so I clicked on it, only to re-read the same comment.

My problem is that it says there are unread replies in the category but I don't see any on the board.  I don't bother looking at the topic listing, maybe I should when it occurs.

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Along the same lines, here's a thread I looked at several days ago (note Patrick's reply on 25 Aug), yet it showed up as unread this morning.  Not in my email, just listed on the category page as new.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Languages-and-Scripting/Unable-to-find-library-libace-so/m-p/5312403/message-uid/5312403#U5312403

Pete
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>here's a thread I looked at several days ago (note Patrick's reply on 25 Aug), yet it showed up as unread this morning.

Ah, I was first mystified until I remembered that if the topics are moved, they turn new.