108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: We need an 'advanced search screen'

SOLVED
Go to solution
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I searched for "docs.hp.com vs.bsc" - no hits, no suggestions even as exact phrase.

0 - 0 of 0 discussions

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@Pete Randall wrote:

I do have to agree with Hein's assertion that "solved" should imply a kudo.

The current marking seems wrong.  It appears that the author can mark *his/her* post as "solved" with no attribution to the actual reply that solved the post!  At least that's the behavior I have seen.  One example is this one from today:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Languages-and-Scripting/calculating-variables-with-decimals/m-p/4824241

[ Expose *who* applied the Kudo(s) to see what I'm saying. ]

Regards!

...JRF...

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

... and the page of topics still lists this topic with Kudos = 0 , even if there are Kudos assigned!

currently at:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/category-id/itrc-117/post-type/thread

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@Torsten. wrote:

I searched for "docs.hp.com vs.bsc" - no hits, no suggestions even as exact phrase.

0 - 0 of 0 discussions

Try putting a space between vs. and bsc - I was able to find the thread when I searched for docs.hp.com vs. bsc

Also - make sure you change the drop-down to "Community" - if it's defaulting to "Category" or "Board", it's going to restrict your results to the area of the community you run that search from.

I work for HPE.
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@James R. Ferguson wrote:

@Pete Randall wrote:

I do have to agree with Hein's assertion that "solved" should imply a kudo.

The current marking seems wrong.  It appears that the author can mark *his/her* post as "solved" with no attribution to the actual reply that solved the post!  At least that's the behavior I have seen.  One example is this one from today:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Languages-and-Scripting/calculating-variables-with-decimals/m-p/4824241

[ Expose *who* applied the Kudo(s) to see what I'm saying. ]

Regards!

...JRF...

Looks like an opportunity for better descriptions of kudos vs. accepted solutions - which I will try to get done and posted in the Tips & Tricks area soon.

The short answer is Kudos and Accepted Solutions are two different things (although in regards to the ITRC migration, they have something in common - more on that in a minute).

Kudos can be awarded to any post, by anyone, with two conditions:

1. You didn't author the post yourself
  2. You haven't already awarded that post with a kudo

The kudo star then numerically indicates how many people have indicated that the post was good/helpful.

Accepted Solutions can be marked by the person who started the thread (asked the question), or by an admin or moderator.  Currently, a thread can only have one "Accepted Solution".  The idea here is that the post tagged this way is *the* answer to the original question that was being asked.

So what's happened in this case is  

But providing a kudo does not trigger the Accepted Solution flag, or vise-versa.

Now for the ITRC content that was migrated, we wanted to retain the "bunny" concept (where a post had received a reply that was awarded 8, 9, or 10 points), *and* offer a "points to kudos" situation, so newly migrated users would have equitable amounts of recognition associated with their account when compared with people who had already been participating in this community.

So for each migrated thread - the first post in the thread that had 8+ points became tagged as the Accepted Solution (due to the old ITRC rank of 8-10 points indicating the post had resolved the problem).  And at the same time, for each post that was awarded with 8+ points (regardless of if it was the first, second, or last post with 8+ points), that author was awarded a kudo. 

Hope that helps a bit - I guess it wasn't a "short answer" after all - but perhaps it will clear up the confusion.

I work for HPE.
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@Torsten. wrote:

... and the page of topics still lists this topic with Kudos = 0 , even if there are Kudos assigned!

currently at:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/category-id/itrc-117/post-type/thread

Torsten - which thread showing on that list as 0 kudos has some assigned?   That sounds like a bug/error, but I need to have an example...

I work for HPE.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

> But providing a kudo does not trigger the Accepted Solution flag, or vise-versa.

Right, a kudo should not equal a Solution but you're dead wrong about vice-versa:  a solution should absolutely imply a kudo, unless it's the author marking his own post as a solution (and maybe even then except for the mis-use that would engender).

Pete
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

this one:

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@Pete Randall wrote:

> But providing a kudo does not trigger the Accepted Solution flag, or vise-versa.

Right, a kudo should not equal a Solution but you're dead wrong about vice-versa:  a solution should absolutely imply a kudo, unless it's the author marking his own post as a solution (and maybe even then except for the mis-use that would engender).

Pete - that's' a fair point.  Currently, it requires the person marking the post as the solution to also click on the kudo star - but perhaps there's a way we can have that be automated anytime a solution is selected.  I've captured that and will see what can be done.

I work for HPE.
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@Torsten. wrote:
this one:

OK I see what's happening - the "Kudos" column is reflecting the amount of kudos the first post in the thread has received, not the sum of the kudos the entire thread has received.

I work for HPE.